A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Oil Warning Light when Oil level is good.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

OP has a 4.2 so no turbos.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- UPDATE - Final resolution ~ replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor.

Basically, I waited for this problem to get worse or pronounced. As suspected (and, Thanks to all Kind suggestions from friends here), the Oil Pressure Sensor was the culprit. It was shot so bad that oil is coming out of it into its single wire connector! The random beeps got so bad and I never lost engine performance so, couple weeks ago went to figure out where it was etc., -should've replaced it when I did the bufkin pipe for oil cooler- and realized the difficult spot it was in.

To make it short, pulled out the air intake filter/box and used a 22 or 25mm (I forget) wrench to reach the sensor in an angle from top. I almost gave up as it is impossible to reach from below or sides. As a last ditch effort, I tried from top and to my amazement, it loosened! Rest was easy. Must say, putting the sensor back as in threading it in initially was more difficult than removing it. Couple times it fell into the chassis. Hand tightened it good -aluminum block- so be careful if you are doing this.

OEM Sensor cost was around $10 from ECS Tuning.

No more oil light warnings or beeps! I hope this helps someone.
The following users liked this post:
batcave (06-17-2023)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I once had an oil pressure sensor fail that way on a 81Nissan 280ZXTurbo too.

Originally Posted by tester123
- UPDATE - Final resolution ~ replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor.

Basically, I waited for this problem to get worse or pronounced. As suspected (and, Thanks to all Kind suggestions from friends here), the Oil Pressure Sensor was the culprit. It was shot so bad that oil is coming out of it into its single wire connector! The random beeps got so bad and I never lost engine performance so, couple weeks ago went to figure out where it was etc., -should've replaced it when I did the bufkin pipe for oil cooler- and realized the difficult spot it was in.

To make it short, pulled out the air intake filter/box and used a 22 or 25mm (I forget) wrench to reach the sensor in an angle from top. I almost gave up as it is impossible to reach from below or sides. As a last ditch effort, I tried from top and to my amazement, it loosened! Rest was easy. Must say, putting the sensor back as in threading it in initially was more difficult than removing it. Couple times it fell into the chassis. Hand tightened it good -aluminum block- so be careful if you are doing this.

OEM Sensor cost was around $10 from ECS Tuning.

No more oil light warnings or beeps! I hope this helps someone.
Not so much oil loss that I noticed it that way but the oil leak made a mess in the engine compartment!!! It helped that the Nissan oil pressure sensor was easily visible (6 inline engine), I only needed a 1 11/16 socket or some such to remove it.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are the man. That fixed it for me. Thanks!