A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed

Hello all, new on here but have had a 1996 A4 and loved it. I resonantly bought a 2004 A6 Sline and it feels like there is little power and bad MPG (to me) driving city/highway miles with 11.242 gal gave me 16.88MPG. I've read on here and other forums about the EGT giving lower boost (limp mode) and having bad MPG. I have no CEL light like described like others said. There isn't any rotten egg smell so I assume the cats are good. Can anyone please give me their thoughts.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mario_orsini5
Hello all, new on here but have had a 1996 A4 and loved it. I resonantly bought a 2004 A6 Sline and it feels like there is little power and bad MPG (to me) driving city/highway miles with 11.242 gal gave me 16.88MPG. I've read on here and other forums about the EGT giving lower boost (limp mode) and having bad MPG. I have no CEL light like described like others said. There isn't any rotten egg smell so I assume the cats are good. Can anyone please give me their thoughts.
Codes?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't been to a garage to see yet. I ended up ordering used EGTs from a place down in Tucson for $185.00 for both shipped. Even if I change them out do I still need to have codes cleared for it to work right?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

is it an automatic?
I cant remember if the sline has the 2.7t or not. I think it does but i had a 2.7t with an auto trans and mine did the sale thing. I tried new plugs and that helped a little but other than that all i can think is you might have one or a few coil packs that are on their way out. I have had that problem too. Mine was the 5 cylinder, the T connector from the coolant tank was dripping on the coil pack.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

it will run better but the correct way would be to clear the codes after you replace the egt. Do you know what your codes are? Also have fun with those EGT valves. Have you looked at their placement? They are a pain in the *** to get on and off. The bolts are nearly impossible to get in and out. And if you do get them out you are going to drop one and never find it.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

So the plan is to throw parts (used parts at that) at the car and hope it fixes the problem? Good luck. Why not pick up a cheap code reader instead of flailing about based on Internet guesses. The information is right there. Go get it.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
So the plan is to throw parts (used parts at that) at the car and hope it fixes the problem? Good luck. Why not pick up a cheap code reader instead of flailing about based on Internet guesses. The information is right there. Go get it.
LISTEN TO THE GURU!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
is it an automatic?
I cant remember if the sline has the 2.7t or not. I think it does but i had a 2.7t with an auto trans and mine did the sale thing. I tried new plugs and that helped a little but other than that all i can think is you might have one or a few coil packs that are on their way out. I have had that problem too. Mine was the 5 cylinder, the T connector from the coolant tank was dripping on the coil pack.
Yes its a auto. I've read somewhere there was a recall about 2.7L coil packs. Ill have to call the dealer tomorrow.

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
it will run better but the correct way would be to clear the codes after you replace the egt. Do you know what your codes are? Also have fun with those EGT valves. Have you looked at their placement? They are a pain in the *** to get on and off. The bolts are nearly impossible to get in and out. And if you do get them out you are going to drop one and never find it.
Yes the passenger side looks not so bad after I would pull the breather box. It's the drivers side that I dreading, but I do have nice tool collection over the past few years working on the last A4.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Well as you put it that way. Yea I see your point taking a shot in the dark is kinda crazy. I just want it fixed so I guess I went into a desperation move reading other peoples threads.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

ya the 2.7t did have a coil pack recall but that recall came out fairly soon after the car was released. 95% of the time the original owner had it replaced by the dealer (from what i have seen, ive owned about 5 of these). Go ahead and just have it read at advanced auto parts or auto zone whoever does it for free. Also of people think you need VagCom to read the codes but a regular OBD-2 reader will read the codes. Im not sure it will clear them though
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I want to buy the VAG-COM or Ross Tech tool, but I've seen this cheap code reader not sure if it will read non CEL light codes? Please can you tell me if so I'll order it today.

Rules Rules

Quick Reply: Opinions needed