A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong insert

VAG-COM scanner tool VAG-COM scanner tool
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

We don't talk about the "cheap" fake VAGCOM systems on here. But in short they will clear codes yes, but that's all.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mario_orsini5
[/QUOTE]

Oh that's not what I thought you were talking about. That looks like a regular OBD-2. I don't about that thing
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think im just gonna order the Vag-Com or the Ross Tech. Im gonna have to read on which one is better or has more options for the money.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I want to buy the VAG-COM or Ross Tech tool, but I've seen this cheap code reader not sure if it will read non CEL light codes? Please can you tell me if so I'll order it today.

Rules
I don't think I'd waste my money on that one. First clue it's not eligible for for Amazon Prime, second is you want to buy something from Jackie Chan?
There are a few better ones out there for maybe $80.
They all should be capable of canceling MILs…but it will take several days of driving to reset the readiness checks so you can pass emissions.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I don't think I'd waste my money on that one. First clue it's not eligible for for Amazon Prime, second is you want to buy something from Jackie Chan?
There are a few better ones out there for maybe $80.
They all should be capable of canceling MILs…but it will take several days of driving to reset the readiness checks so you can pass emissions.
Yea I'm gonna stear clear of Jackie Chan. I realize I'm gonna have to put money into a good scan tool for now and future use. I'm looking at the Ross Tech software. Does anyone find Ross Tech any lesser of software than the VAG-COM?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

VCDS (an acronym for "VAG-COM Diagnostic System" and formerly known as VAG-COM[2][3]) is a Microsoft Windows-based software package,[3] developed and produced by Ross-Tech, LLC since May 2000.[1] It is primarily used for diagnostics and adjustments of Volkswagen Group motor vehicles, including Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, and Škoda automobiles,[4] along with Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. The name "VAG-COM" derives from the acronym "VAG", the name by which the Volkswagen Group was formerly known.

From the wiki..take it for what it's worth...
Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yea I'm gonna stear clear of Jackie Chan. I realize I'm gonna have to put money into a good scan tool for now and future use. I'm looking at the Ross Tech software. Does anyone find Ross Tech any lesser of software than the VAG-COM?
VAGCOM is made by Ross Tech. So you are talking about the same thing. If you are just a novice car enthusiast i would just get a good normal OBD-2 scanner that is able to clear codes. You will be able to use that on any car, where as the VAGCOM software is only for VW, Audi, and a few other german brands. The only thing you would use vagcom for besides code reading would be to pinpoint misfires and adapt throttle body and things like that. if you are just looking to read and clear codes just go with the OBD-2. That my opinion.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
VCDS (an acronym for "VAG-COM Diagnostic System" and formerly known as VAG-COM[2][3]) is a Microsoft Windows-based software package,[3] developed and produced by Ross-Tech, LLC since May 2000.[1] It is primarily used for diagnostics and adjustments of Volkswagen Group motor vehicles, including Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, and Škoda automobiles,[4] along with Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. The name "VAG-COM" derives from the acronym "VAG", the name by which the Volkswagen Group was formerly known.

From the wiki..take it for what it's worth...
Thank you for the info

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
VAGCOM is made by Ross Tech. So you are talking about the same thing. If you are just a novice car enthusiast i would just get a good normal OBD-2 scanner that is able to clear codes. You will be able to use that on any car, where as the VAGCOM software is only for VW, Audi, and a few other german brands. The only thing you would use vagcom for besides code reading would be to pinpoint misfires and adapt throttle body and things like that. if you are just looking to read and clear codes just go with the OBD-2. That my opinion.
Ok, yea I want the Ross Tech just so I do have the ability to check out all the parameters if needed and just for me to see how the car is running. I'm going to to get it tuned once I have it straightened out. So I think having the full software would do me best.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After changing the 2 EGT sensors and DAMN was that driver side a nightmare! The car has doubled its HP. I had it scanned and got to get this P0444 EVAP system purge control valve A circuit open figured out how to fix it. I have a good idea what it is from this EVAP