A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Pad wear indicator lit in console...how soon to change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pad wear indicator lit in console...how soon to change?

"How soon" meaning "drop at service today" vs "order parts tomorrow and do myself over the weekend".

Just want to verify the car isn't going to self-destruct if I wait to change the pads until the weekend.

Also, I'm assuming for now this is only the front pads needing changed, so will only order the fronts, unless you guys recommend otherwise. 165k miles, and I don't remember if the rears were changed when the PO had the brakes done.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-05-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven
"How soon" meaning "drop at service today" vs "order parts tomorrow and do myself over the weekend".

Just want to verify the car isn't going to self-destruct if I wait to change the pads until the weekend.

Also, I'm assuming for now this is only the front pads needing changed, so will only order the fronts, unless you guys recommend otherwise. 165k miles, and I don't remember if the rears were changed when the PO had the brakes done.

Thanks,
Sean
Your good until the weekend or no more than 500 miles being safe.

Yep it's the front wear indicators showing up, I'd change the front rotors too along with the rear rotors and pads also a good time to flush the brake fluid.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a tough question to answer. This is a safety issue, and if this were to happen on my car, I can tell you that I would not worry immediately that I couldn't drive the car for a day or two. The sensor tends to come on when there is pad left, but it is getting low, and even a weak with it on would probably still be safe.

Having said that, the ideal situation when this happens is for you to remove the wheel and inspect the brakes yourself. Look through the back of the caliper (meaning the side facing the back of the car/trunk) to see how much pad is on the inner pad, and from the center of the hub into the front of the caliper to see how much is left on the outer pad. You may have plenty left or you may be REALLY low. It may also be wise to inspect the lead to the pads, as these often brake and the pads are fine. There is nothing "wrong" with shorting these wires, as in it won't hurt the car, but if you don't keep an eye on the pads it may hurt you, or kill you, in a crash. Normally, however, before brakes are REALLY bad you will hear noise, feel pedal issues, shaking, etc.

There is no issue with doing "just" the front pads/rotors if the backs are OK. Inspect those too though. Really the only way to know is to put your eyes on them yourself.

Inspect them yourself, but if you have no issues braking and no noise and you want to make the call to drive it a few more days, I wouldn't expect the worst. I've done it. Inspection is the best bet, and will tell you right away if you can continue to drive on it.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is there are 4 pads and only one sensor.

You probably have a good 1000 to 5000 miles before damage on THAT pad, but pads can wear out at different rates. It could be the most worn, or the least worn.

Just replaced the rear pads on my E350. The mechanic that noticed they needed to be done during a trans fluid change was surprise that the light was not on based on how thin they were.
Turns out the sensor was in the least worn pad.
Looking at the least worn to the most worn, I would guess I would have been safe waiting for the light, but not by much.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went a month or so with that on. If the pads look like they have some meat on them, they will last a bit yet.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Except you can't easily see the inner pads.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Except you can't easily see the inner pads.
True. Hopefully the inner and outer wear evenly lol.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thall6594
True. Hopefully the inner and outer wear evenly lol.
"Hope" is not a planning tool!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default All things being equal you have a few months to 5K miles.

Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven

Thanks,
Sean
Of course, they're not, as people have posted before, but Audi designed the (front) pad wear sensor to give you some wiggle room as well as safety from their standpoint. I would order the parts and do it in a couple weeks.

BTW, FCP Euro is having a clearance sale on audi parts (as well as others). They have lifetime guarantee too (dunno how good that is, sure to start another thread!).

No connection to FCP Euro but I have bought parts from them before. Just picked up a pair of S6 front rotors for $43/each including free shipping.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

As mentioned you'l be fine .. but if i were you i'd order rear pads at a minimum too though .
I find Audi rotors quite indestructable actually.
Also i found on my car i wear out rears twice as fast as fronts, so im thinking your rears are shot ...

Last edited by Airbag; 01-15-2015 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Pad wear indicator lit in console...how soon to change?