A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Passenger window not closing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window not closing

Hey guys, hoping anyone has some insight here. Feels like my A6 is just falling apart...

Anyways, my passenger front window has been struggling to close, well it doesn't really close at all. It never gave me any warning it was dying but about a week ago it would slowly crawl halfway up then stop and sometimes go down at normal speed. If I make the mistake of opening it I have to open the door press the button quickly and guide it up myself. Not sure whats going on here.

Is the motor dying? Something stuck? Unfortunately I have to park under a tree every day that drips sap like crazy and when rolling down the window sometimes it would stick or make it hard to roll down, not sure if this put stress on the motor and now its gone. Any ideas? Parts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

IMHO the window regulators on Audi going all the way back to the mid 80's are pretty weak and the earlier ones were quite flimsy. Having said that, I would suspect that the window channels may be full of sap and that is gumming up the works. Try getting into the inner areas of the door and see if you can clean up the sap, particularly the channels that the glass travels in. The extra drag could be putting additional strain on the motor. You didn't mention the year model of your car so I'm guessing it is at least several years old. My old '85 5000T would break a couple of window regulators every winter. I was living in Wyoming and had to park outdoors. Needless to say, the windows would get iced up and freeze. If they didn't completely thaw, and I operated one of the windows invariably some of the plastic bits on the regulator would break.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

It may be your guides are going. Inexpensive, but you have to take the door apart (not that bad a job) and remove the window and frame assembly to fix. I don't have the procedure I used, but likely got it here on the forum or Bentley.

Mine reversed short of the top a couple times over several months before refusing to go up at all. Cold drive home that night!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

its the guides, newest ones are pink, there is an excellent you tube vid on replacing them . takes an hour or two per side if taking your time.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks alot guys, gonna work on this on the weekend.