A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

oil leak from oil cooler housing/ now car wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak from oil cooler housing/ now car wont start.

So today i found out there was a leak by in between the oil filter and the oil pan it looks like a box... i found out that it is most likely the seal... here is where the issue comes to play i was warming the car so by the time i went outside to put it in gear it died i did my normal checks n found the leak... i check the dip.stick and it read min i try to start it a couple more times but nothing... so i put in some oil and it started it didnt sound the best so i turned it off i went to start it again and would turn over... any suggeation??
Old 02-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Will it turn over by hand? Or seized?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I havent tried to hand turn but Not seized it wants to start and trys but just keeps cranking! Its really cold here got 6 below lastnight so i took out the battery n brang it inside the bat @ 12.1 know it ahould b 12.6 but dont think that is the prob today im going to try n put in the seal check for spark and fuel press... im hoping with this audi the the reason fo it is cause the seal isnt holding the pressure it needs for the oil to run correctly and this will fix the problem also hoping no vavles are bend:/
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can the filter freeze to the bolt?? It was below zero lastnight n its warming up now but i can get the filter to unsrew and i positive i didnt tighten it that much and what are the chances of me snappin the bolt need help asap
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you push the car into a garage to warm it up? I have had trouble sometimes with starting this winter with all the cold weather. At sub zero I'll crank it for 15 sec or so then let it sit a few minutes and then it will usually start. Temp sensor could be bad.

Good Luck
Steve
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was an issue i encounter but know the temp sensor works from the fact i had to changed out the radiator fluid and found it was mostly water it had been starting fine till the whole thing with the oil cooler housing gasket started leaking... i didnt get time to check for spark and cant get the oil filter off the housing need to know if there is a chance the oil filtee could have froze on there or even melted to the bolt
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so thought thia would b a easy job it i just took the filter n then unscrew the part that connects the filter to the housing... well i didnt have a second nut to go on the threaded pipe to help the unsrewing of the pipe so i was stuck tryong to figure it out but no attempts works finally just took off the hoses and in this A6 quat sports ed 98 its seems i would have had to do it anyway because the higher hose oh the two hoses wouldnt allow me to slide housing off had to work it out slow process but the gasket was alil smashed but i honestly think it might have been okay if i would have just tighten the nut that sit on the piping inbetween the housing n filter but better safe then sorry hope this can help someone...
Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yea car is running again just took a kinute to start might have been due to sitting out in the freezing cold a couple days... make sure u get someone to jump u of u hav this problem will take a minute to start if it sat...
Old 02-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by werick
Okay so thought thia would b a easy job it i just took the filter n then unscrew the part that connects the filter to the housing... well i didnt have a second nut to go on the threaded pipe to help the unsrewing of the pipe so i was stuck tryong to figure it out but no attempts works finally just took off the hoses and in this A6 quat sports ed 98 its seems i would have had to do it anyway because the higher hose oh the two hoses wouldnt allow me to slide housing off had to work it out slow process but the gasket was alil smashed but i honestly think it might have been okay if i would have just tighten the nut that sit on the piping inbetween the housing n filter but better safe then sorry hope this can help someone...
You should search more. This is on the same page of the forum:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24528219