A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Please Help My 2.8 a6 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help My 2.8 a6 wont start

Ok i was driving my 98 audi a6 2.8 and it turned off on me and wont start back up at first it showed 14 codes on a obdII reader then i plugged it back in and only one code came up P1338 CMP open or short to b+ Bank 1 so i ordered a Camshaft Position sensor and replaced it still wont start i changed the spark plugs a month ago theres spark and i can smell gas so i know the fuel pump isnt messed up i also ordered a crankshaft position sensor and engine coolant sensor its cranks but does not start then its almost starts but doesnt its sounds normal then after 10 min i got another code P1565 i opened the cover for timing belt it looks perfectly fine same with serpentine belt it has 111,000 miles its due for a timing belt the car does leak a little engine coolant from the water pump but i dont think that would cause it to not start (Is it possible that my engine is blown) in that case i dont want to spend the money on the timing belt kit and get it replaced
Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Check cam timing.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving the car with a TB having 111,000 miles on it is playing with fire. You may have got burned. Like 4D4 said, check the timing and hope you didn't jump time so bad as to bend valves.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Check cam timing.
Im some what good with cars is it easy to check cam timing (and if valves are bent whats a estimate in repairs,
Old 08-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im not 100% sure the timing hasnt been done yet but im gonna be on the safe side and do it anyway if the engine isnt damaged
Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi8642
Im some what good with cars is it easy to check cam timing
Put the nose into service position and install the bar and pin.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Put the nose into service position and install the bar and pin.
That is the correct way to get the timing spot on, but if you don't have the bar and pin then you can do a visual check to see if they look to be correctly timed. You will be able to tell if it has jumped time. The bar and pin must be used to get it back on and when doing TB service.

Put front into service position and remove timing covers. Set the crank to TDC intake and look at the four holes on the front of the cams. The two bigger holes should be closest to eachother and all the holes should be in a straight line. Should look like this pic:http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Engine/Timing/

BTW: It will run with 1 bad cam position sensor(there are 2 sensors). Doesn't run great, but will run pretty good. I know because mine went with the same code, but it ran.

The reason we are guessing timing is that the TB may have the 111k miles on it and WP was leaking(driven off TB). If belt has actually been done then it is much less likely that it is timing issue. Bent valves are bad and $$$. Lets hope it's something else, but timing check is a important first step for a unknown TB service interval.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 08-21-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can Someone Please Give Me a list of things that might or will cause and a6 not to start with similar story to mine

I Got a New Camshaft Position Sensor,I Have Crankshaft Position Sensor (never got time to put it in) and i have a Engine Coolant Temp Sensor on the way so hopefully the next day im off ill have time to put in both sensor and hopefully thats the problem
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The car cranks but wont start I have got the codes P1338, and P1565 but i got that code(P1565) because i gave the car to much gas while starting it (i think)
I replaced the spark plugs couple months ago. I tried pressing the pedal all the way down and tried starting it sounds like its gonna start but it doesnt i replaced the camshaft postition sensor and it still shows on the obdII reader i erase it and it comes right back the battery started dying so i hooked up my sisters car to jump it still wont start.

( I dont know much about audi's but i search until i found out what it is so i saw some people say the crankshaft position sensor or engine coolant temp sensor so i ordered both)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi8642
( I dont know much about audi's but i search until i found out what it is so i saw some people say the crankshaft position sensor or engine coolant temp sensor so i ordered both)
Your guessing at the problem. Guessing will get expensive unless you get lucky and guess correct right away. A VAG-COM will sort this out b4 you buy possibly unneeded parts. You can look at what the sensors are telling the ECU when it cranks over and will also reveal any Audi specific codes that a generic OBDII scanner won't.

If you have spark then the crank sensor should be fine. You say you smell fuel and obviously there is air getting in, so that leaves only one other problem area--> mechanical (read timing belt)

A bad CTS sensor will not cause a car to quit while running. It just creates a hard start and possibly poor cold running until the engine goes into closed loop running and relies on the O2 sensors to adjust mixture.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 08-21-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help My 2.8 a6 wont start