A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

polished aluminium clear coat looks rainbow

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished aluminium clear coat looks rainbow

hey guys, my molding around my windows and trunk that is polished aluminum, the clear coat on it looks almost to Rainbow in some lights. The clear coat looks damaged somehow some water spots and some rainbow and I can't get it off no matter what I use for polish. Do you guys have any tips on how to make this molding look new again??
Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
hey guys, my molding around my windows and trunk that is polished aluminum, the clear coat on it looks almost to Rainbow in some lights. The clear coat looks damaged somehow some water spots and some rainbow and I can't get it off no matter what I use for polish. Do you guys have any tips on how to make this molding look new again??
I had the same issue when I bought my 04 CPO in 07 and I quess the detail guys overlooked something so what I did is used a very fine compound to remove it and so far no problems, I also believe that the trim is stainless around the windows.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have actually just run the gauntlet on this particular issue. The trim around the windows is polished aluminum, and its been powder coated clear. I tried a lot of things to bring back the factory shine, but I only found one that worked w/o rectifying old cases of carpel tunnel. Harbor freight sells a jewelry polishing kit that comes with polishing wheels that can go into your cordless drill. The kit also comes with some compounding sticks. The wheels are the perfect width of the the trim, and the darker stick works wonders as the compound. I personally used masking tape on the paint that borders the trim, but is was not a necessity. The entire process took about an hour to accomplish. Oh, and the kit was $6 US.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you so much guys. i have tried a lot of different compounds and nothing has worked yet. I am going to try the harbor freight $6 kit.
I was so frustrated with it at one point i almost thought about sanding it down and giving it a "brushed" look. But oxidization scared me away.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

the kit is now 20$ but i am going to try it

edit: nevermind i found the cheaper one

Last edited by redbullgotwings; 09-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
I have actually just run the gauntlet on this particular issue. The trim around the windows is polished aluminum, and its been powder coated clear. I tried a lot of things to bring back the factory shine, but I only found one that worked w/o rectifying old cases of carpel tunnel. Harbor freight sells a jewelry polishing kit that comes with polishing wheels that can go into your cordless drill. The kit also comes with some compounding sticks. The wheels are the perfect width of the the trim, and the darker stick works wonders as the compound. I personally used masking tape on the paint that borders the trim, but is was not a necessity. The entire process took about an hour to accomplish. Oh, and the kit was $6 US.
Did you clear coat the newly polished aluminum? If you didn't, I think you will start to see oxidization again soon..
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
Did you clear coat the newly polished aluminum? If you didn't, I think you will start to see oxidization again soon..
It's actually the clear powder coat that I buffed out. I ended up burning through one of the edges, and that was the only time I saw any black on the white buffing wheel. When I was done I ran over it with some buffing glaze on a little three inch foam pad. It was another harbor freight kit. I just stuck it in the ol DeWalt, and glazed everything.