A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The Potential Death of My First Love, The 2.7 T

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Potential Death of My First Love, The 2.7 T

Hello everyone, er, anyone who may stumble in here,

I have been a longtime reader, but short time member here. These forums have always assisted me in determining the issue/ resolution for my problems for my Audi. The knowledge and kindness of others within these forums have assisted with many, many repairs on my current vehicle. I currently have a 04 Audi A6 2.7t S - Line.

While this car has been nothing but a pain since I parked it in my driveway (first day the alarm had issues), I have neglected the fact that I may have simply purchased a "lemon". The car has been in my possession for roughly 2 years, and in that time I have put well over $3-4000 in parts and labor into the car between myself and multiple shops. However, I think Friday was THE day. Find link below:

While on my way to work, I was somewhat pushing it, trying to make it on time. While I was in the fast lane, an SUV decided he wanted to tailgate me. Feeling giddy, and rightfully seeing an opportunity to pass around the car in the lane to the right of me and burn the SUV behind me, I merged right two lanes and reached 90 MPH with the quickness that one with this car would experience time and time again.

After getting off at the exit for my job, I reached a stop light. There was an awful clinking noise - which to my assumption, was the beater Honda next to me. After reaching another stop sign, I soon came to the horrible realization that this was in fact my car! (imagine theoretical tears running down my face).. I arrived at work, and could not stop thinking about the dreaded noise.

I then returned home and have since let the car sit. The noise persists, and the culprit is unknown as I currently do not have access to my tools. Keep in mind, I have never seen the inside of this engine, merely replacing parts, i.e. timing belt, bi-pipes, throttle body & TBB, etc.

To the point of this post... The oil looks perfectly fine. I have yet to drop the pan due to funds, but the noise is persistent. On the short drive I did this morning I noticed that there seems to be no lack in performance under normal driving.. I suspect a bent rod, but I really am uncertain because through numerous days of research, I am left with a plethora of possible root causes.

I have attached a video, and I am uncertain as to how many people would be willing to read this short novel outlining "my precious'" demise. This thing really was my pride and joy; and this is making me think that there is just no hope.

So, if anyone, (someone-please!) has any helpful suggestions, it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

While you may be correct, I wouldn't suspect a bent rod as first hunch. Car still pulls hard and more of a clatter vs knock. Why don't you get a long screwdriver, hold the handle to your head just in front of your ear and touch the tip to various (non-moving) parts to try to narrow down the location. Might be a valve train issue, serpentine belt pulley or fan clutch. No codes?
Old 11-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Another video, different angle

Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you have a big hole in the exhaust pipe(s). Or blew the manifold gasket...
Old 11-09-2015, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Agree. I'd check for flex pipe issue(s).

Originally Posted by indoor
Sounds like you have a big hole in the exhaust pipe(s). Or blew the manifold gasket...
They're not unusual. The fact that performance doesn't seem to be affected indicates an exhaust problem.

t had both of mine go out on an 02S6. First one was replaced under audi warranty (10/100 for 02S6…hmmm, wonder why..LOL)
and it included a new cat. Second was me pay. Lots more expensive than simply having a muffler shop weld in a new flex pipe, but the OEM pipe and cat tends to last a lot longer than such a repair and maintains the value of the S6 better.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure sounds like a huge exhaust leak to me too. Its hard to tell. Whats it sound like with a few rev ups?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The sound definitely fluctuates with revs. Again, there 'seems' to be no performance change in the motor- then again, I'm very hesitant to try and open her up like I did last Friday.

I'd doesn't sound like a exhaust leak from what I've heard on other cars, but I'm not very experienced with such issues. If it were the manifold gaskets, could that potentially have been caused from that large sudden boost generated from a highway pull?

I suppose I should check these things (if possible) before purchasing another car! I honestly was planning to make a decision on another vehicle by this Saturday. Additionally, I appreciate the help here. I will be attempting to research this as much as I can.

To clarify, had it been a bent rod or rod, it would not sound the same as an exhaust leak??

Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet 5 min on a lift will tell you it is a exhaust leak.

Guessing the engine mounts are worn enough that the "pull" twisted the exhaust just enough to break a ready to fail exhaust flex joint.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the help. I will be going back to the car Friday. (The car's parked for the time being due to the mystery here). Aside from a visual inspection from lifting the car up, is there any other way to verify this? I've done some research on this and you guys seem to be spot on. It is more of a whirring/ fluttering sound rather than a clanking/ knocking. Again, thank you all for the help. If I don't have to scrap/ part out my car, this will be a redemption act!

Multiple dealerships have told me that "there is a knock in the engine". Contradictory to what has been stated here, that would be a major issue. Am I to assume that they just wanted to pick up my car for $1000 and then have a turnaround of $5-6k? I fear the possibility of the latter and that they were right, but I will definitely check back! Otherwise, that nice B8 A4 will be in my driveway by next week. LOL
Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default If the car runs good except for the noise, it's exhaust.

Originally Posted by Mammoth22
Thank you for the help. I will be going back to the car Friday. (The car's parked for the time being due to the mystery here). Aside from a visual inspection from lifting the car up, is there any other way to verify this? I've done some research on this and you guys seem to be spot on. It is more of a whirring/ fluttering sound rather than a clanking/ knocking. Again, thank you all for the help. If I don't have to scrap/ part out my car, this will be a redemption act!

Multiple dealerships have told me that "there is a knock in the engine". Contradictory to what has been stated here, that would be a major issue. Am I to assume that they just wanted to pick up my car for $1000 and then have a turnaround of $5-6k? I fear the possibility of the latter and that they were right, but I will definitely check back! Otherwise, that nice B8 A4 will be in my driveway by next week. LOL

Quick Reply: The Potential Death of My First Love, The 2.7 T