A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential purchase

Hi there gang, now that I've sold my old faithful 5000, I am ready for the 2.7TT I've been longing for. Found a pretty clean one, and before going over for a drive I was wondering is there a boost guage on these cars ? On my 5000, I had one, and if it showed more than 1.4 bar, it meant the car has mods. If the 2000 2.7 has such a guage, what is the stock boost it's supposed to show ? If the turbos are on the way out, are there any obvious signs ? I still plan on a prepurchase inspection. Also, if the instrument cluster has been changed, can I tell that ? (this is for mileage verification)
Thank you all
Old 07-14-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

No boost gauge on A6 2.7T cars. However, you can use a bluetooth obdii reader and the Torque app (android or apple store) to monitor the boost.

No way to tell if the instrument cluster has been changed.

The obvious sign of the turbos going out is the dentist drill sound under boost and obd indications.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info
Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default check the service records and ensure synthetic engine oil was used.

Originally Posted by GroupBquattro
Hi there gang, now that I've sold my old faithful 5000, I am ready for the 2.7TT I've been longing for. Found a pretty clean one, and before going over for a drive I was wondering is there a boost guage on these cars ? On my 5000, I had one, and if it showed more than 1.4 bar, it meant the car has mods. If the 2000 2.7 has such a guage, what is the stock boost it's supposed to show ? If the turbos are on the way out, are there any obvious signs ? I still plan on a prepurchase inspection. Also, if the instrument cluster has been changed, can I tell that ? (this is for mileage verification)
Thank you all
You could also do a spectrometric oil analysis if the oil hasn't been changed for awhile..I'd be suspicious if it was recently changed! Also check if transmission oil was regularly changed every 50K miles or less.
I'd be more worried about the automatic transmission than the turbos. Figure on an average 100K miles between transmissions if Audi's maintenance plan is followed. Life of Transmission oil fill...LOL!
If it's a manual, then you can maybe check the clutch plate thickness from the inspection plate window as well as service record on hydraulic fluid changes.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea just keep the synthetic oil changed every 5-6k miles with 5w40 synthetic and service the trans every 40-50k it should go 250k+. Just be easy on it when its cold, and if you drive it super hard, dont just shut it off, let it idle for a minute. The turbos will last forever. Its abuse that kills them.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Yea just keep the synthetic oil changed every 5-6k miles with 5w40 synthetic and service the trans every 40-50k it should go 250k+. Just be easy on it when its cold, and if you drive it super hard, dont just shut it off, let it idle for a minute. The turbos will last forever. Its abuse that kills them.
Agreed. My B5.5 Passat K03 was still "good" at over 250k. She was leaking a bit of oil into the intake tubing but was completely quiet. The car never took more than 1/4 quart in 5000 miles even at the bitter end at the hands of my ex wife and some high concrete curbing. I liked that old girl (the car, not my ex) who only left me walking once at 180k when the fuel pump kicked the bucket.

I just picked up a well used 2.7 for a "work car." Working out a few bugs, but largely down to tires, a front axle, upper control arms on the drivers side, and rear brakes. Essentially in two months the car will have paid for itself and be given to my son. 195k now, 225k by the time he gets it. She goes like stink, but not as fun or fast as my 4.2 Sport. Then again, lower and wider tires with a lowered suspension helps a bit.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all for all the info, here is how the story ended, or rather just started:

She was sitting pretty and quiet between a Dodge and a Nissan. 99k miles California car (no cold weather package), and in excellent shape, inside and out. Two previous owners, clean carfax, service history

Took her for an extended test drive, slow, fast, freeway, everything feels right, steering is good, brakes good and even, clutch feels good (tip was never an option for me, has to be manual ) took her to O'Reilly's to get some code readings, all came back clear, no faults. Didn't agree on the price on the spot, but they called me back minutes after I left and we struck the deal I wanted. My son drove it home, and he was also happy with how Silver Girl felt (he drives a 2014 A3). This was Saturday afternoon. The very next morning we did what any sane man would do with a car we just bought, we took her to DirtFish rally school in Snoqualmie,where she was entered in her maiden rallycros.

Somehow we ended up being the very first car on the stage. Only instructions I gave my son was easy on the clutch, no hard off the line launches.

The low end torque is amazing, so easy to get out of slow corners.

Although on asphalt understeer was pretty hard, we were so pleasantly surprised on how nicely she oversteers on gravel

Left foot braking thru fast corners are a real pleasure with this car.

We had an awesome day, don't know where we finished, I was third at some point, but it doesn't really matter, main thing is the car finished and performed without a hiccup

Since both me and my son drove, Silver Girl actually did two rallycrosses having ran twice as long as the other single drivers. I only wish I would've been able to fit in the competition rally wheels left over from my old Audi 5000, but those 15 " rims don't clear the front calipers, I will try with spacers to see if they do the trick. Had Silver Girl accepted those tires, it would;ve shaved at least 10 seconds per stage. Until then, I am happy with what we achieved, also happy to read that APR has a sale on their software, so before the end of the month I have to make a trip to Achtunning to get a Stage 1 upgrade. The fun just started !

Like they say: Buy on Saturday, Race on Sunday.......well, kinda like that

Last edited by GroupBquattro; 07-20-2016 at 12:57 PM.