A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power steering click/light clank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering click/light clank.

I have an undiagnosed click, or you could call it a light clank, coming from between the inner tie rods on the rack. I only feel/hear it when I hit some potholes, or rough roads. Feels like a bad ball joint, just from a different location. While parked, I can rock the steering wheel to duplicate the sound.

This is what I have replaced over the last year or so:
- Full control arm kit w/sway links.
- Sway bushings.
- Inner and outer tie rods.
- Springs/shocks
- Wheel bearings.
- R/L Axles.

.....I have also been replacing the ps fluid through the resevoir, and the rack bolts under the battery tray are tight.

I have done a lot of searching on this matter, and have had no luck. It is driving me crazy!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
I have an undiagnosed click, or you could call it a light clank, coming from between the inner tie rods on the rack. I only feel/hear it when I hit some potholes, or rough roads. Feels like a bad ball joint, just from a different location. While parked, I can rock the steering wheel to duplicate the sound.

This is what I have replaced over the last year or so:
- Full control arm kit w/sway links.
- Sway bushings.
- Inner and outer tie rods.
- Springs/shocks
- Wheel bearings.
- R/L Axles.

.....I have also been replacing the ps fluid through the resevoir, and the rack bolts under the battery tray are tight.

I have done a lot of searching on this matter, and have had no luck. It is driving me crazy!
Check your power steering rack mounting bolts this too has been a issues for some members, try searching out the forums on this for more info.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's an oldie but goodie https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...bumps-2825607/
Old 04-11-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really wish it was those bolts. I've checked, then rechecked those. The location is between the inners somewhere. I can be in the wheel well, on both sides, and as the steering wheel is moved left to right slightly, the noise is near the rack. It feels like a worn part, but there's really no play. It's like a couple of mils of movement.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I really wish it was those bolts. I've checked, then rechecked those. The location is between the inners somewhere. I can be in the wheel well, on both sides, and as the steering wheel is moved left to right slightly, the noise is near the rack. It feels like a worn part, but there's really no play. It's like a couple of mils of movement.
My bad, you already said that about the bolts.

I would jack the front end up with jack stands supporting both sides, have someone turn the wheel slightly L&R with both hands at 3 & 9 on the tire to see, feel or hear something including the control arm pivots.
Also check your sub-frame mounts and engine mounts, there could be movement in those areas resonating a sound.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

On jack stands, everythings solid. The debate is weather to deal with it until it becomes more pronounced, and easier to diagnose, or start looking at racks. I think waiting it out is the best approach. If it gets worse, the fix should be more obvious, and with any luck, i'll begin to not notice it and forget all about it.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On jack stands, everythings solid. The debate is weather to deal with it until it becomes more pronounced, and easier to diagnose, or start looking at racks. I think waiting it out is the best approach. If it gets worse, the fix should be more obvious, and with any luck, i'll begin to not notice it and forget all about it.
Strange one for sure blink because the usual failure of the rack is the end seal leaks, internal valves or binding, have you flushed the PS fluid lately?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have not. Ive been using a turkey baster to remove old fluid, and replace with new. Its pretty clean. I'll end up doing it a few more times. The end seals look good (not leaking, little residue) from when I changed the inner tie rod ends.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any play when solidly tugging the wheels at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock while on stands/lift? Did you do an alignment after the tie rod-/link-/control arm replacement?

Could this be suspension top bearing related? I'm not quite familiar how failure of these will manifest sympthoms on the A6's suspension setup.

Other thoughs goes towards a failed component or loose bolt/nut in the suspension setup. I've read about certain aftermarket control arms/links needing spacers to properly clear other parts - but I would believe such kinks would be worked out, or well known - by now. And on would believe parts hitting eachother hard enough to be heard inside the A6, and cause movement of the steering wheel - would leave (atleast slightly) visible marks. I guess failing hub bearings is not impossible, but would think the noise would make that a bit more obvious.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it may just be a duck. I wonder if my outer tie rod end is the culprit. I'm going to pull it this weekend and possibly just replace it. It may have failed prematurely, I hope, and is only noticable at ride height. It may have gotten upset when I removed it to do the inners. On the bright side, my Firestone gives me alignments as long as I'm within 90 days of the original alignment. Hoorah!

Quick Reply: Power steering click/light clank.