A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power steering click/light clank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Firestone may not align it if you replace a TRE.

Originally Posted by blink
Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it may just be a duck. I wonder if my outer tie rod end is the culprit. I'm going to pull it this weekend and possibly just replace it. It may have failed prematurely, I hope, and is only noticable at ride height. It may have gotten upset when I removed it to do the inners. On the bright side, my Firestone gives me alignments as long as I'm within 90 days of the original alignment. Hoorah!
But as long as it doesn't look new they might.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
I have an undiagnosed click, or you could call it a light clank, coming from between the inner tie rods on the rack. I only feel/hear it when I hit some potholes, or rough roads. Feels like a bad ball joint, just from a different location. While parked, I can rock the steering wheel to duplicate the sound.

This is what I have replaced over the last year or so:
- Full control arm kit w/sway links.
- Sway bushings.
- Inner and outer tie rods.
- Springs/shocks
- Wheel bearings.
- R/L Axles.

.....I have also been replacing the ps fluid through the resevoir, and the rack bolts under the battery tray are tight.

I have done a lot of searching on this matter, and have had no luck. It is driving me crazy!
Don't know the engine and year of your car but, one thing I also noticed on my 4.2 is that (apart from steering bolts under battery issue) the engine mount/bolt on passenger side is loose! Never had issues after some loctite and torque it back to spec.