A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power Steering Pressure Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
The Audi dealer is 20 minutes and 10 miles from my house plus a modest toll (I like the ICC in MD, it's a tranquil route without many idiots and Q-tips meandering or rushing around). Cost to get a new part unless I'm going there for more than just these says to anneal the washers.
You don't need them from Audi.
They are (or should be) available at at almost and import car dealer, and/or any place that services industrial equipment, and maybe even a well stocked hardware store (of course those are getting few and far between)

(I do miss living is CA where we had a hardware store that specialized in surplus aircraft hardware 5 min from my house)
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
You don't need them from Audi.
They are (or should be) available at at almost and import car dealer, and/or any place that services industrial equipment, and maybe even a well stocked hardware store (of course those are getting few and far between)

(I do miss living is CA where we had a hardware store that specialized in surplus aircraft hardware 5 min from my house)
And even the nearest hardware store or dealer is still 10miles away. I generally do almost anything to avoid going to the parts store….
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and make sure you use the Audi fluid, its not regular ATF. pentosin CHF-11 (whatever it says on the cap)
Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
That might be the reason your serp belt got thrown…

Suck the fluid out of the reservoir and fill up the reservoir, run the engine (fix the belt first!) with the front end off the ground, turn the wheels lock to lock a few times, suck the fluid out and fill it again (to the line), repeat until fluid is clear.

Alternatively, remove the return hose from the reservoir (the line that goes to the pressure side of the pump, generally the smaller of the two) and cap the reservoir nipple, splice a longer length of hose into a bucket, and flush the pump with engine running while pouring a couple liters of p/s fluid into the reservoir. You might want to just have a friend turn on the motor for a very short pulse because the p/s pump will empty the reservoir very quickly, faster than you can pour.
If you use the refill the reservoir method to eventually get clear fluid you will need at least twice what it would take to completely flush by dropping a line and barely starting the car. I counted at least 7 or 8 times of bleeding lock to lock after each refill. Pulling a hose is quicker but more risky if you're not careful.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrob
If you use the refill the reservoir method to eventually get clear fluid you will need at least twice what it would take to completely flush by dropping a line and barely starting the car. I counted at least 7 or 8 times of bleeding lock to lock after each refill. Pulling a hose is quicker but more risky if you're not careful.
Yes..I've done it once and it's purely amazing the gpm that hydraulic p/s pump can do!!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default About the power steering..

Hello, I already fixed the serp belt car is running good, just wanted to know where to go to buy the hose to take out the power steering, and what to do with it? Where do I put it? I don't know much about my audi but would like to?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got mine from FCP Euro for about $40, but it went up right after I ordered.
Still seems the cheapest at $57. (as of a week or so ago.)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default thanks

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I got mine from FCP Euro for about $40, but it went up right after I ordered.
Still seems the cheapest at $57. (as of a week or so ago.)
But do you have time to give me instructions on how to do it?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by victoriaa_73
But do you have time to give me instructions on how to do it?
Some guy did a video on a 2001 Passat.
I have not done mine yet, but seems to have all the same parts.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FRACK!!!!

So, I figured I would siphon out the power steering reservoir and fill it with new as a partial change, but . . . . .

Upon closer inspection it says "Use only MINERAL Fluid"

Now I know it will work fine with the CHF-11s, but since Pentosin says not to mix CHF-11s (Synthetic) with mineral fluid, a partial change is out of the question.

So now, next spring when I replace the seeping hose, I will have to plan a full fluid change.

Ugg!