A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Problem solved: Door switches

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved: Door switches

Hi guys,

After a few questions from my side, some input now as well. I've not seen this anywhere else so far.

I had the problem with my A6 (C5) from 2001 (Europe) that the doors weren't opening/closing during winter because of the cold and that a few of the door switches weren't working so the car had no clue if that particular door was open or closed. The famous micro switch issue. If I solved the first problem I don't know yet, time will tell. But I definitely solved the second problem. Cheap and easy.

I removed the whole lock-mechanism from the doors with the issues, and (after cleaning them properly) I saw the the little pin that detects if the door is open or closed was completely worn out and pretty much gone completely. Not a miracle, as it has been there for 14 years already, it's only made from plastic and the little wheel turning it in or out was metal and real dirty. All the other parts of the micro switch where in good condition, and all worked properly. So I took the "spray head" from a can brake cleaner and cut off the exact same size as the original pin from the little part of the spray head to replace the plastic pin. The plastic is solid and slides well, so perfect in my opinion. It's a delicate work, and you need a lot of patience to cut the right size as this comes real precise but in the end it all worked like it did 14 years ago! Some pictures below!

I keep you guys posted with experiences as I'm using it longer. And questions and reactions very much appreciated!

Alwin
Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the repair thread, there is also a write-up in the Features/Tech Articles tab on the top of the page regarding another issue with the door latch/switch so if you have other problems use this link AudiWorld Tech Articles
Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

its a crap design , they use a rolling cam against a push button switch , of course the rolling cam will wear out the plunger as its not designed for that . keep it well greased to reduce friction.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default It's not a rolling cam, it's a rubbing cam. Agree, crappy design.

Originally Posted by Airbag
its a crap design , they use a rolling cam against a push button switch , of course the rolling cam will wear out the plunger as its not designed for that . keep it well greased to reduce friction.
If the cam were a roller it wouldn't wear. Too bad the push button switch isn't a roller on a microswitch...
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry wrong term , but yes the above switch is what they needed.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto on the crappy design. On my car the micro switch wore into the rubber coating layer on the latch & prevented the latch from turning & releasing. Not fun when you can't open the door from inside or outside. With back door open I was able to extend a bar to the latch bolt on the front door. Gave it a whack while lifting handle & the vibration freed it up. Didn't close door again until I replace the latch mechanism. This happened on both front door.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my Chineese replacement lasted 6 months with exactly the same issue .. I blame it on my lousy mechanic. he just fired it in , he should have gobbed some heavy lubricant on the cam to reduce the wear on the switch.

for those of you with working cars I would definitely suggest that as the lubricant can wash out eventually, making the problem worse.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replace these latches on VW cars constantly, beetles golfs jettas. I have only done a couple Audi latches, they seem to be much better quality. Aww dont say that about the chinese latches lol, I put 4 of them in a 98 Passat that I sold my friend lol.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I've had good luck with a dry lube. Solvent-carried.

Originally Posted by Airbag
my Chineese replacement lasted 6 months with exactly the same issue .. I blame it on my lousy mechanic. he just fired it in , he should have gobbed some heavy lubricant on the cam to reduce the wear on the switch.

for those of you with working cars I would definitely suggest that as the lubricant can wash out eventually, making the problem worse.
It lasts pretty well.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what brand is it John ?

Quick Reply: Problem solved: Door switches