A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

IMPORTANT!!! Need wiring diagram for crank sensor

Old 12-30-2020, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMPORTANT!!! Need wiring diagram for crank sensor

I broke the connector for the crank positioning sensor on the 01 2.7t. I have 3 wires on each side. A white, black and blue on the ECU side and a white, black and bare silver wire on the sensor side.

Can someone tell me how to wire this together? I assumed black to black, white to white and blue to bare wire, but car only cranks endlessly.

Can someone please help?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default G28 speed sensor (crank position sensor)

Hope this helps.

G-28 is your sensor
Old 12-30-2020, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nickypp
Hope this helps.

G-28 is your sensor
I literally dunno what that means. Is black (or gray as they seem to call it) ground, white the data and blue the switch?
Does this mean that I have gray correct but switch white and blue? Or switch the gray to the bare silver and the blue to gray?

And most importantly, do you think I killed my poor sensor?
I know it's the crank sensor cuz there's no rpm read when cranking.it stays at 0 RPMs.

Last edited by VampireOniX; 12-30-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sw is black and that is the ground. the other two are gr = gray, and bl = blue. not sure where bare silver comes in? I haven't had the pleasure of digging into this sensor, I'm just sending you a pic from the repair manual. Have you tested the sensor? Was the engine running before you broke the connector? Hope my little bit of info helps.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sw is black and that is the ground. the other two are gr = gray, and bl = blue. not sure where bare silver comes in? I haven't had the pleasure of digging into this sensor, I'm just sending you a pic from the repair manual. Have you tested the sensor? Was the engine running before you broke the connector? Hope my little bit of info helps.
Yea. Sensor worked prior. It looks like there might be a relay of some sort in the connector? If that's the case I dunno how I'm gonna fix this.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

google "speed control sensor relay for 2.7t" and see what you find. relays are cheap.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

google "speed control sensor relay for 2.7t" and see what you find. relays are cheap.
Problem is there is no connector on the harness anymore. Two of the three wires were severed at the plug, ECU side, due to breaking the wire at the connector.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

send a picture of this madness please. If there is a relay it probably would be near the fuse block, with all the other relays. again, Im guessing here. havent been there, done that.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

send a picture of this madness please. If there is a relay it probably would be near the fuse block, with all the other relays. again, Im guessing here. havent been there, done that.
Dont have any pics of the sensor plug, but it was encased in hard plastic with an epoxy fill. So I was unable to get the correct wiring line up. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there is a relay somewhere in line based on the switching it shows. Tho I do have a pic of my ECU connector. If I could reattach this, I could get **** fixed. But it's not looking good. What makes this much worse is that I'm moving in two days And tomorrow I need to tow this car to the local garage to do the axles. If it's not running in two days, it's going to be towed, thanks to my old landlord, for scrap metal. If I move without the car, Im not gonna be able to get to work and lose my job and end up homeless.

I really don't know what to do here at this point. This one plug is literally life changing to the nth degree. And I don't have many options. I can have the garage put a new sensor in, but without a new plug...

Last edited by VampireOniX; 12-30-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

it looks like grey, blue and black, if they're spliced, look at this. I found this about a relay relating to the speed sensor, i read through it and its a lot to chew on. hope it helps.

https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/102009.phtml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMPORTANT!!! Need wiring diagram for crank sensor