A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Quattro Drive Line Fluids

Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If no one yells soon, I am just going to top up with Mobil-1 Synthetic 75w-90.

It is just a top up since the shop said the seals were seeping a little bit. (no drips seen), but I want to hold off on doing that work for a while.

Anyone else have Transmission Propeller shaft seal and/or Rear differential axle seals leaking?
If so, how hard to replace and how bad was the leak?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, one last (Probably not) question:

Is the center Torsen Diff drained and filled through the same plugs as the front diff?
The car is a 2.8 Quatro with an auto trans.

I have a PDF manual, but it is not clear, it just talked about the front and rear differential, and is silent on the center diff.

It gives a capacity, separate from the Front Diff and Transmission, but does not show the filler, drain or any particulars about the level.

Rear shows typical fill till it runs out, and front is measures some distance below the hole with a shop made dipstick (bent wire).
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Front and center diff are separated by the automatic section, so no, they have separate fill holes.

IIRC, the front diff does not have a drain plug. Fluid must be sucked out.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Front and center diff are separated by the automatic section, so no, they have separate fill holes.

IIRC, the front diff does not have a drain plug. Fluid must be sucked out.
Have any good pics as to where the center Diff plugs are?
Does it fill to the hole, or some other measurement like the front?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Front diff is a plug with an 8mm allen socket right below the passenger drive axle flange. The torsen fill plug is also an 8mm allen on the passenger side of the torsen. Audi just calls for Synthetic 80w90 gear oil. Its the same torsen thats been used since the 80's. Its nothing special. Just use the mobile, my A6's has been full of mobile 1 for 20k+ miles now.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you do the whole dipstick thing for the front level, or just top up like a normal diff?

What about the center?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

while the car is level just pump in oil untill it runs out the fill hole.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm???
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well . . . .

Rear diff was fairly easy. Filler bolt was very tight, but once opened I found the Diff low.
Given the wetness around the axle seals, it was expected.
Took about 3 or 4 Oz of oil, maybe a little more. (Guessing a bit)

Center diff was next. It beat me. Diff=1 : Me=0
Between the limited space under the car (Front on ramps and back on jack stands), the angle of the plug, the exhaust in the way, I could not get enough leverage to open it.
Will come back to it next time it is on a lift.
Since the rear seal is wet and was showing bit of a drip, I really want to double check the level and top it up.

Front diff was easy. Off the ramps and stands, just jacked up the Rt front, took off the wheel and the plug is an easy reach with some extensions and a flex-joint. Plug came out easy. Made the dipstick (Bent wire) and checked the level. All was good.
Since the plug opened fairly easy, I guess it had been topped up sometime.

Did find that whatever "Mechanic" (and I use the term with a good amount of sarcasm) last worked on that corner should be flipping burgers (assuming he can do that without F-ing up).
FIrst the lug bolts were REALLY tight. OK, some tighten with time, but these one cracked come out so easy. A quick look showed that they had been coated with white grease (guessing lithium grease or maybe some spray Teflon grease), so they were obviously over tightened since the torque spec is for dry threads.
Next, I find the inner wheel well cover was rubbing the tire. Seems it was removed (or at least the front edge was unscrewed and none of the screws were reinstalled.
SO, I figure I will temporarily steal a few from the rear of the cover and at least hold the front in place and away from the wheel. Of course that did not work because the plastic clips the screws go into are all broken or missing. My guess is the "mechanic" either pull them out or over tightened them and broke the clips.
So temporarily the cover is held in place with plastic push in body pins.

One more thing to fix!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One last attempt.

I think I was trying the wrong bolt or plug on the center diff, so before the car goes to Buffalo for the winter, I am going to try one more time to top up the center diff.

So here is the question:
Does anyone have a picture or drawing of the transmission/center diff showing the filler plug?
I have looked on line and all I find are pictures from the drivers side, or cutaways.

If you have a spare transmission sitting, I would love a quick pic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quattro Drive Line Fluids