A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 12:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Replacing Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) - Long

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
AS long as it's not leaking coolant, it's fine. It does sit in a round O-Ring, so a little movement is somewhat normal.
I just replaced mine Kris and went for a ride to ensure it is correct, and came back and noticed it leaking coolant and the sensor was pushed out? Any reason why?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you put the clip back back in correctly?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Did you put the clip back back in correctly?
Yeah I just got back inside, and realized what went wrong, the clip was inserted incorrectly. I didn't realize there were slots on the hose to sensor.

I initially put the clip on the sensor only, and got the above results....leaking

This time I went in with fingers and realized there were slots on the hose/sensor, which would hold the sensor down......hhhhmmm

Also though for anyone whom has big hands like myself..this is an obstacle.

It seems like the car is starting and running smoother though.....
Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

You need to start posting in the correct location within the thread so we can see you are replying to. This post is a reply to yourself. To reply to someone, click "quote and reply".

Please check out threaded view to understand what a mess your random replies are making in these threads. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi42LV8
Alright. So that kinda altered why it didn't start? Cause it sure seemed that way.
???????????
What is this a reply to? Seems out of context....?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
???????????
What is this a reply to? Seems out of context....?
My bad. It was a wrong thread
Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys, I am a little confused how the retaining clip goes back on. It's impossible to see in there, and I think i've got my mind spinning in circles

Once I insert the sensor & o-ring into the tube, I put the retaining clip on the slot on the tube??
Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

forget that, once i typed it and clicked send, it all clicked in my head

I can't figure out how to delete that post, so i'll just admit i'm a little slow can't read.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Hey Great Write-Up. I saw that the parts are roughly in the same place for the 2.8L and 4.2L. Does the 2.7T have a similar location too? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Something that makes this a lot easier, even with big hands--remove the sensor before unplugging it.

There's enough wire there to manipulate it easily. That made this job really simple. Also, not a drop of coolant leaked out, just fyi. I did release pressure by opening the coolant reservoir to relieve pressure.

So in a nutshell:

1. Remove plastic engine covers: big central one with four "screws", and pull-off one above air cleaner.

2. Remove big flexible air intake hose after loosening two hose clamps.

3. Locate ECT sensor. Roughly 6" beneath the downstream side (smaller of the two air openings) of the air intake hose you just removed. It's a vertical sensor in a horizontal cooling tube.

4. Remove the light grey electrical connector just above the ECT to gain better visual access (pry the metal wire off, be careful not to drop it--it's loose).

5. Remove plastic clip holding the ECT in place, pull the ECT straight up, THEN unplug the electrical connector by twisting a screwdriver against the prong to bend it longitudinally away from the sensor. One you get the right motion, the ECT will unplug easily without much resistance.

6. Remove o-ring from coolant tube if it did not come out with the sensor. It may be hard to see if it's dirty. You'll swear it's not there, but reach in with your finger and it'll come out.

7. Clean surface where o-ring was sitting to give new one a good seal.

8. PUT O-RING IN COOLANT TUBE FIRST (before sensor). The sensor will be hard to push down far enough otherwise.

9 . Push new ECT sensor into o-ring and slide new plastic clip in place. You'll have to push hard. I found it easier to push the plastic clip in place, then push down on the sensor and side to side, so the two prongs of the plastic clipped "snap" into place above the ECT flange. Note that the plastic arms of the clip need to go ABOVE the flange of the ECT, not around it. A very large, flat bladed screwdriver helped apply pressure.

10. Plug light grey electrical connector back in and don't forget the retaining wire.

11. Put it all back together!

Hope that helps... it took me an hour, and I cleaned the o-ring surface very carefully and took my time, so this is really a simple job. If you're thinking about having someone do this for you, I encourage you to try it yourself first!

Quick Reply: Replacing Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) - Long