A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Revving Engine to 3,000RPM, Brief Sound of Sharpening Knives,

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revving Engine to 3,000RPM, Brief Sound of Sharpening Knives,

I was testing the new OBD2 Scanner Tool I received today (specific to Audi's), and revved the engine to 3,000RPM (Car in Parking Position) and for a brief second, heard a sound that sounded analogous to sharpening knives. Could this have been the Rotors; my Rotors need to replaced soon.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arjun90
I was testing the new OBD2 Scanner Tool I received today (specific to Audi's), and revved the engine to 3,000RPM (Car in Parking Position) and for a brief second, heard a sound that sounded analogous to sharpening knives. Could this have been the Rotors; my Rotors need to replaced soon.
If your in a parked position the brake rotors (if that's what you mean) are doing nothing, your engine is doing something.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like the brakes after all, strange but true, I had to put my ears in close proximity to the wheel, car was in parked position, I'll keep an eye on this for a couple of days.

Originally Posted by jcman
If your in a parked position the brake rotors (if that's what you mean) are doing nothing, your engine is doing something.

Last edited by arjun90; 04-17-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like the brakes after all, strange but true, I had to put my ears in close proximity to the wheel, car was in parked position, I'll keep an eye on this for a couple of days.
You're kidding right?
The only way to know if brake rotors or pads are worn out is by checking the thickness of both when parked, ears have nothing to do with this.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not kidding, I used my eyes this morning,
I removed the wheel and checked the rotors; they thinned out. Lots of Brake Dust as well.

This explains where there so much heat generating on both front ends as well.

You're kidding right?
The only way to know if brake rotors or pads are worn out is by checking the thickness of both when parked, ears have nothing to do with this.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not kidding, I used my eyes this morning,
I removed the wheel and checked the rotors; they thinned out. Lots of Brake Dust as well.

This explains where there so much heat generating on both front ends as well.
You're first post in this thread has no logic or factual relevancy to the final discovery, you do speak English yes?

This thread is like some confusing sort of comedy....or something else.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lol, I definitely understand what you mean; its the placebo effect, when you know there is some anomaly in the engine but you cover that anomaly up with something else, which in this case would be the rotors, haha. I'll check the sound further to make sure it is what it is, thanks again.

English is all I speak and breath; "Me no speak other speak; for now..."

You're first post in this thread has no logic or factual relevancy to the final discovery, you do speak English yes?

This thread is like some confusing sort of comedy....or something else.

Last edited by arjun90; 04-17-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

He might have a problem with his knuden valves behind the wheel well liners. They make similar sounds.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by johnkk
He might have a problem with his knuden valves behind the wheel well liners. They make similar sounds.
LOL! But often mistaken by the floozy valve with no direct connection to the ferndock rods!

Naw all kidding aside, the OP seems very polite, thick skinned and possibly learning new stuff......That's a good thing.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks jcman, you are correct, I have a gut feeling this Audi can live long as long as I maintain it. Its all about taking preventative measures.

LOL! But often mistaken by the floozy valve with no direct connection to the ferndock rods!

Naw all kidding aside, the OP seems very polite, thick skinned and possibly learning new stuff......That's a good thing.

Quick Reply: Revving Engine to 3,000RPM, Brief Sound of Sharpening Knives,