A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rotor rubs on caliper, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor rubs on caliper, any ideas?

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro with the factory sport package. I have had the car for a little over two years. I went to replace the front brakes for the first time and ordered the rotors and pads together from blauparts.com. I have the Lucas dual-psiton calipers. After installing, I heard a grinding noise. I inspected and found that the front face of the rotor was rubbing on the center part of the caliper that curls over the rotor. I talked to blauparts customer service and they say it should fit. I talked to the Audi parts department here in Peoria Illinois and they said there are two types of rotors and mine was the 320mm diameter and not the 321 mm diameter that blauparts advertised and sold. I took in the rotor from blauparts to the Audi dealer and compared with the rotor they say is for my car. It was virtually identical. I purchased the Audi rotor telling them I had the intention to set it in place to see if it also would rub and they agreed that its ok to bring it back as long as it wasnt actually used. I put the Audi rotor (8E0 615 301 AD) in place and it hit on the caliper in the same spot. When I put the old rotor (8D0 615 301 M) back on for comparison, it does not rub but it is very close and after measuring its thickness, which was 27.7 mm, I realized the old one had been turned and that is the only reason it fits without rubbing. I had the Audi dealer check the part number for my upright (4B3 407 257) for the driver side and they confirmed this was correct. As far as I know, and per the Audi dealer, there is only one version of the Lucas dual piston caliper. My hub seems very sturdy so I dont believe a bad wheel bearing or anything like that is the issue as it all appears to be true and in good order. Also, both sides are having the exact same issue so no discrepancy between driver and passenger side setup. I plan to install washers between the caliper and where it mounts to the upright to bring the caliper out a couple millimeters to center the rotor in the caliper which I believe will work fine. It just really bothers me that I should have to make this adjustment to get the stock size rotor to fit. Has anyone else run in to this problem and perhaps discovered the root cause of it? I am baffled.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd take a good look at the way the rotor is mounted on the knuckle.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

turning a rotor doesnt change the diameter, only the thickness...
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just a couple questions

Originally Posted by kjwhite04
I have a 2001 A6 2.7T Quattro with the factory sport package. I have had the car for a little over two years. I went to replace the front brakes for the first time and ordered the rotors and pads together from blauparts.com. I have the Lucas dual-psiton calipers. After installing, I heard a grinding noise. I inspected and found that the front face of the rotor was rubbing on the center part of the caliper that curls over the rotor. I talked to blauparts customer service and they say it should fit. I talked to the Audi parts department here in Peoria Illinois and they said there are two types of rotors and mine was the 320mm diameter and not the 321 mm diameter that blauparts advertised and sold. I took in the rotor from blauparts to the Audi dealer and compared with the rotor they say is for my car. It was virtually identical. I purchased the Audi rotor telling them I had the intention to set it in place to see if it also would rub and they agreed that its ok to bring it back as long as it wasnt actually used. I put the Audi rotor (8E0 615 301 AD) in place and it hit on the caliper in the same spot. When I put the old rotor (8D0 615 301 M) back on for comparison, it does not rub but it is very close and after measuring its thickness, which was 27.7 mm, I realized the old one had been turned and that is the only reason it fits without rubbing. I had the Audi dealer check the part number for my upright (4B3 407 257) for the driver side and they confirmed this was correct. As far as I know, and per the Audi dealer, there is only one version of the Lucas dual piston caliper. My hub seems very sturdy so I dont believe a bad wheel bearing or anything like that is the issue as it all appears to be true and in good order. Also, both sides are having the exact same issue so no discrepancy between driver and passenger side setup. I plan to install washers between the caliper and where it mounts to the upright to bring the caliper out a couple millimeters to center the rotor in the caliper which I believe will work fine. It just really bothers me that I should have to make this adjustment to get the stock size rotor to fit. Has anyone else run in to this problem and perhaps discovered the root cause of it? I am baffled.
Did you check your PR brake codes?

The reason I ask is that all C5 front brake rotor diameters are in this order 288mm, 312mm, 321mm FNR G60/PR code(1LA&1LG), "321mm HP2/PR code(1LX&T7Z)" and then the all mighty 365mm brembos.

Never heard of a 320mm rotor on a C5.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lay the old and new flat on the ground and make sure they are the same hat height as well-
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good point

Originally Posted by kramerica72
lay the old and new flat on the ground and make sure they are the same hat height as well-
Being that there are two variations of the 321mm rotors by separate PR codes, I can't seem to find the hat size chart I had.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kramerica72
turning a rotor doesnt change the diameter, only the thickness...
I never said it did.
I'm thinking of offset.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

4driver4 is right,

offset on these is a big deal and there are at least two different offsets
Old 03-02-2013, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine, i believe, are 312s with the stated lucas HP2s

Its either the wrong rotor or a caliper improperly assembled.

Grant
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

me too. Caliper at end of travel. Put the two rotors side by side and measure every dimension. not just diameter and thickness, but hat height/offset too.

Report back.

Grant

Quick Reply: Rotor rubs on caliper, any ideas?