A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

s6 lower control arm bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bilbo6209
Over on quattro world someoththers have said that yes you have to lower the sub frame and a bit... It can be Don on jack stands but is a pain... If I get everything thing else done in time I might try this otherwise I will ask the alignment shop to do it.

Bill
Embrace and engage the challenge!

Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Cut it with saw and put the new bolt in from the other side. Works fine. If VAG ever cared about maintenance, they would have done it that way in the first place.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hey guys,

Im trying to wrap up this marathon job on my car and I am on to the lower front control arms and the only how tos I have seen are for A6's and apparently they are a little different than S6's ....

I have the rear lower bolt loose and about half way out but then it hits the underside of the car with i'm guessing about 2 to 3" of bolt still inside the bushing and mount.

from what Im seeing it looks like the only way to gain any room would be to drop the sub frame! I really hope that isn't the case!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Has anyone figured out the easiest way to do this? I’m not too comfortable dropping the sub frame if I don’t have too but I’m not seeing many other options.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Adavis5280
Has anyone figured out the easiest way to do this? I’m not too comfortable dropping the sub frame if I don’t have too but I’m not seeing many other options.
WOW I'm trying to remember what I did with this... I don't have the car anymore so I can't go look to see if something jogged my memory sorry
Reading the message above mine I think I did cut the bolt with a dremel and put the bolt in from the other side.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

WOW I'm trying to remember what I did with this... I don't have the car anymore so I can't go look to see if something jogged my memory sorry
Reading the message above mine I think I did cut the bolt with a dremel and put the bolt in from the other side.
I’d be happy to send pictures if you think that may jog your memory haha. From what I can tell I don’t have many options but dropping the frame. Which I really don’t want to do…
Old 05-18-2023, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Adavis5280
I’d be happy to send pictures if you think that may jog your memory haha. From what I can tell I don’t have many options but dropping the frame. Which I really don’t want to do…
I know I wouldn't have dropped the frame....

When I looked earlier I saw a comment above mine that said to cut the bolt off and the run the new bolt in from the other side, after reading that I'm positive that is what I did. Work the holt out as far as you can, use a dremel with a cut off disk and cut the bolt off, then push the bolt out the rest of the water from what was the nut side. When assembling put the bolt in from the nut side, if I remember it is still a bit challenging, especially lining up the nut, but much easier than dropping the sub frame!