A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

S6 vs S8

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 vs S8

Thinking of getting back into the Audi world again. I previously had a 2001 S4 that I bought new and sold 4 years later. There are a few interesting cars near me right now, all for the same price.

2001 S8, 100k miles, original owner, all records
2002 S6, 100k miles, used car dealer
2003 S6, 120k miles, used car dealer, 3/50 warranty

There is also an RS6 with 120k miles but they want twice as much for it.

I've always liked the Avants, but my wife doesn't. The warranty is appealing, but even more appealing is the original owner car. As far as performance goes, it seems they all weigh about the same. The S8 seems to have the advantage of a better rear-end ratio (3.73 vs 2.73?) but the S6 seems to have the advantage of a sport mode transmission. The S8 has been criticized for sluggish shifting.

It's rare that even one of these cars are for sale near me at any particular time. Which would you recommend?
Old 02-21-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hemismith
Thinking of getting back into the Audi world again. I previously had a 2001 S4 that I bought new and sold 4 years later. There are a few interesting cars near me right now, all for the same price.

2001 S8, 100k miles, original owner, all records
2002 S6, 100k miles, used car dealer
2003 S6, 120k miles, used car dealer, 3/50 warranty

There is also an RS6 with 120k miles but they want twice as much for it.

I've always liked the Avants, but my wife doesn't. The warranty is appealing, but even more appealing is the original owner car. As far as performance goes, it seems they all weigh about the same. The S8 seems to have the advantage of a better rear-end ratio (3.73 vs 2.73?) but the S6 seems to have the advantage of a sport mode transmission. The S8 has been criticized for sluggish shifting.

It's rare that even one of these cars are for sale near me at any particular time. Which would you recommend?
Depends on the price. The S8 is more likely not to have been bashed or driven hard. Also might have a better sound system although it's likely the drivers need to be replaced on any of the cars. I've replaced the front tweeters and midrange drivers on my 02 S6 at around 105K miles. Although I can barely hear the difference, my wife says it's quite a lot better.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The price on each one of these is $9k. As cheap as I've seen. True, the S8 has probably been better taken care of. I can deal with sound system issues, mainly concerned about the fun to drive factor and reliability. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't buy an Audi if I'm concerned about reliability, but relatively speaking. I assume they are both about the same in that regard, and I believe a little better than the turbo cars. Wondering how important it might be to get the one under warranty though.

The smaller size and better transmission of the S6 appeals to me, but the better gearing and condition of the S8 does as well. Wondering if any of you have had both. I will try to look at both today.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both would be about the same reliability wise. In my opinion Audi's are of the more reliable German cars to own. Especially V8 models. Auto Transmission is going to be the only weak spot on any of those cars, have it serviced and hope for the best.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The price on each one of these is $9k. As cheap as I've seen. True, the S8 has probably been better taken care of. I can deal with sound system issues, mainly concerned about the fun to drive factor and reliability. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't buy an Audi if I'm concerned about reliability, but relatively speaking. I assume they are both about the same in that regard, and I believe a little better than the turbo cars. Wondering how important it might be to get the one under warranty though.

The smaller size and better transmission of the S6 appeals to me, but the better gearing and condition of the S8 does as well. Wondering if any of you have had both. I will try to look at both today.
One thing to remember is the S8 might have an air shock suspension, I'd have to check to find out. The S6 for sure doesn't. There's a lot to be said for a 3/50 warranty..make SURE your audi dealer will honor it rather than a 3rd party deal that pays you!

I had a platinum audi warranty when I bought my 02S6 at 64K miles from an Audi dealer and it was worth every penny of like $2500 or so (in 2008).
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I thought the S8 might have an air suspension but it doesn't look like it does. I'm not sure about the warranty; for a car this old it's certainly a 3rd party warranty but not sure how it's implemented. I did look at that S6 yesterday. Has some cosmetic issues -- mainly the entire radio unit needs to be replaced, and a lot of the buttons are worn, so it sounded like he'll come down in price. Drives really nice, but I don't have any maintenance history. So I'd have to have it inspected to see if the timing belt has been done. Yeah, the transmission seems to be the main issue, and is where the warranty seems particularly valuable. Although I prefer the S6 in general, the S8 is in much better condition and has all the records, but I'd probably have to budget for a new transmission in the near future.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I thought the S8 might have an air suspension but it doesn't look like it does. I'm not sure about the warranty; for a car this old it's certainly a 3rd party warranty but not sure how it's implemented. I did look at that S6 yesterday. Has some cosmetic issues -- mainly the entire radio unit needs to be replaced, and a lot of the buttons are worn, so it sounded like he'll come down in price. Drives really nice, but I don't have any maintenance history. So I'd have to have it inspected to see if the timing belt has been done. Yeah, the transmission seems to be the main issue, and is where the warranty seems particularly valuable. Although I prefer the S6 in general, the S8 is in much better condition and has all the records, but I'd probably have to budget for a new transmission in the near future.
Not to be heretical (this IS a C5 board after all) but after owning an 02S6 since 2008, bought used at 64K miles, and putting in newish used engine, new rebuilt trans, new cats, and assorted electronic gizmos including the yaw sensor, front door speakers, memory module, expensive timing belt services, etc., and living with irritations such as a CCU that won't stay on F rather than Centigrade and soft-touch buttons that have worn through their coatings such that the symbols are blurred in daylight and at night red lighting, I would suggest finding a low mileage S8 5.2. Should be able to find a 2008 S8 5.2 with under 90K miles for under $30K…a 2009 for under $35K.

It has the same engine as the then-new R8 V10! OK, mileage is abysmal, but wotta car!!!

2009 Audi S8 review - CNET
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, yeah, I'm starting to lean towards something a little newer. Will most likely get a not so fun car and have my wife drive it instead, and keep my current car.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lease a new A5.

Thanks, yeah, I'm starting to lean towards something a little newer. Will most likely get a not so fun car and have my wife drive it instead, and keep my current car.
Just got one for my wife, under $500/month, 10K per year miles. They have conquer money and audi loyalty money (if your existing audi is 2002 or newer).

They just kept lowering the price last November 29.

My wife didn't so much like the dark blue exterior and saddle interior, but it has grown on her. She likes the size much better than the new A6 which seems about the same as our old 4.2A6Q. I just miss the V8 (if not the mileage). That's what my S6 is for!!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice, but too much right now. Maybe in a couple years.