A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Seat Malfunction help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Malfunction help

Posting here since Allroad is same as A6-S6 c5.
2005 Audi Allroad, c5, w/memory driver’s seat. Had never had any problems with seat and it was in my wife’s position which is forward from mine and it would no longer move back to my position. I checked for loose wires and found nothing. When I tried to move with the forward–back switch it would only move forward. The up-down and tilt would not work. Noticed that the interior lights would dim when moving any of the switches on the side of the seat except when moving the seat forward. Took the forward-back motor loose and moved the switch it still would only rotate forward movement and would dim interior lights when switched for back movement. Removed the seat and checked that nothing was binding and found nothing. Used drill to drive seat back, reinstalled motor and seat. Still unable to get any movement except forward movement. Check with Vag-Com got this error code “01191- Motors for seat adjustment, 44-00 – short circuit”. Confusing as to what may be wrong. Anyone had same problem and what was the fix?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe just a bad motor? You could try to find a replacement at a salvage yard.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default could be the circuit board

Mine stopped working like that, but the seat was so far back I could hardly drive. I didn't check for any codes, so I can't say if this is the same problem. I was able to get at the motor control circuit board though. It's under a cover under the left side of the drive's seat, I don't remember if the adjustment buttons are on the cover, or if it's just below that. Look around and you should see it. PITA to get at though. You have to remove the plastic housing from around the bottom of the seat.

Anyway, turned out the main power "band" on the printed circuit board had melted through. Essentially just like blowing a fuse. So, I removed the board from the car and took it to the work bench. Scraped back some of the coating and soldered a fuse holder across the gap. Make sure the wires on the fuse holder are heavy enough for the max amp load downstream of the car's main fusebox. If I remember right, the car's main fuse for the seat is 30 amp, and I tried 10, 15, 20, amp fuses gradually increasing until adjusting the seat no longer would blow the fuse. That way, after it's all back together, if the seat ever stops working again, I'll just check for a blown fuse. Oh yeah, make sure the wires on the fuse holder are long enough to make it more easily accessible. You'll probably need at least 6 inches off each side of the fuse. Mine's too short, but better than pulling it all apart again. I used a blade style fuse holder I had lying around from a car stereo install many years ago.

hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default problem solved

The problem with my seat turned out to be with a motor wire on the seat back motor. The lumbar mechanism has a heavy support wire that goes from one side of the seat frame to the other. This had broken on one side and rubbed through the insulation causing a short. Since the only time it had power was when you pushed one of the switches that moves the seat but it would not cause a fuse to blow. Replaced the wire from another seat and repaired the wire. All is good.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Thanks for closing out the problem.

Originally Posted by richie64
The problem with my seat turned out to be with a motor wire on the seat back motor. The lumbar mechanism has a heavy support wire that goes from one side of the seat frame to the other. This had broken on one side and rubbed through the insulation causing a short. Since the only time it had power was when you pushed one of the switches that moves the seat but it would not cause a fuse to blow. Replaced the wire from another seat and repaired the wire. All is good.
This is the kind of fault that could probably only be diagnosed by removing the seat and checking the wiring harness for the short.