A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Secondary Air pump Bracket ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air pump Bracket ?

2004 A6 2.7

How does the Pump get removed once you have all the bolts out? Is there a mystery bolt down below? Looks like the round clamp is sitting on a post type clamp?
Can't seem to find the answer anywhere?
Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Bentley says"

The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) solenoid valve -N112- is secured to a bracket below the control modules for the exhaust gas temperature sensor.

Disconnect harness connector from valve and slide bracket off studs at intake manifold with vacuum lines connected.

Disconnect vacuum lines from Secondary Air Injection (AIR) solenoid valve, remove valve from bracket.

Sooooo, it looks like you have to remove the bracket. Looks like those two bolts at about 7oclock on your pic.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks....I finally found another post about another bolt down on the lower part of the bracket ....guess it's a real pita to get at.

Last edited by audifield1; 07-19-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I thought I would post a few pics and some helpful tips for those searching this fix or replacement down the road. The lower bolt is accessed from behind the plate that holds the round bracket in place. The pump just sits in this buoy type setup. I got frustrated and bent the bracket up after disconnecting the hard plastic pipe that runs over the top of it from the firewall connection with a screwdriver. Once that's out of the way you can disconnect the electrical harness and pry the pump out of its tube connection and finagle it out. Now you can see where the last bolt is ( pic 1 just above my magnetic tool). I rigged up a 12 volt clip system to test ( pic 2) and the pump does nothing. After reading another post on its repair I have it apart and will see if I can get it running and post.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I found a few good posts and decided to disassemble the secondary air pump just for the hell of it. I was just going to order a new one but had a few hours and was already dirty so i pulled the whole damn thing apart. Not sure what others were talking about by drilling and sand blasting things but I had no issues taking it all apart using no such methods. I cleaned it all up, emery clothed the magnets and used wd 40 to clean out the motor. My fan plates looked almost new and honestly there was very little decay. When I got to the bearings they seemed to spin fine but further testing revealed they would wobble under the side pressure of reinserting the spinning rod and moving them from side to side. I also pulled off one wheel from an old roller blade and took out the bearings. They were a perfect match and when re-assembled revealed no such wobble. I also tested it time and time again along the way under 12 volts with zero movement. Once cleaned and sanded and new bearings it ran like a champ so put it all back together and again tested to get a nice quiet blast of air !
If anyone wants a detailed method I used let me know. It was easy and I spent No money.
Attached Images