A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

self dimming mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self dimming mirrors

I was checking the self dimming features of the inside and outside rear view mirrors.

1. The inside rear view mirror controls the self dimming feature of the outside mirrors. With ignition on, both outside mirrors dimmed, but no response from the inside rear view mirror.

The side and rear windows have a medium tint and the car was in the garage. But, the outside rear view mirrors did function and dimmed with the ignition on. I shined a flashlight at the inside rear view mirror sensor, but no dimming response from the mirror. Is there a better test?

I noticed on the inside rear view mirror there is deterioration of the mirror surface. The top portion is a clear mirror appearance and the remainder looks to have a amber coating. Obviously, some type of deterioration has occurred.
Any guess on that.

2. The right outside side rear view mirror dims from a natural light appearance to a blue dimmed appearance. But, the left outside side rear view mirror has a natural light amber appearance and dims to a darker amber appearance. Any guess why they aren't the same color appearance?

Thanks,
Skyrex
Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

The normal function of the three mirrors is to change from a light blue tint to a dark blue tint when the interior mirror detects a bright light in the sensor pointing to the rear (compared to less light in the sensor pointing to the front.)

If you have a rough surface on the interior mirror glass, the interior mirror needs to be replaced.

If you have an amber tint on your outside glass, the outside mirror glass needs to be replaced.

Of course, there are cheaper options. Check with your local glass supplier.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sideview mirrors have a liquid film sandwiched between an outer clear glass & an inner mirror. On my right sideview mirror, the seal btwn the glass & mirror eventually leaked & brown liquid leaked out, & mirror didn't reflect well. It was cloudy. Rather than replacing with OEM mirror, I unclipped glass/mirror from housing & slit the seal around the perimeter using razor knife. Cleaned glass & mirror & reselaed with black silicon. Almost good as new, doesn't tint, but reflects very clearly.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Interior rear view mirror is also liquid filled. When the seal goes, a small amount of the viscous fluid will drip onto your center console and you may see a bubble in the mirror surface. Time to replace.