A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

some troubles with 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default some troubles with 4.2

Hello Forum,

It's been a while, Happy New Year!

Did anyone have any issue(s) with "Bufkin" pipes? If so, plz explain.

Long version: Few weeks ago on a cold morning, started the car to warm up and 10 mins later, go out drive and notice a nice puddle of oil. Don't know if that was from the night before or if it happened after starting the car (too dark). Had to put a quart in. After that didn't notice much of a leak but today noticed the level to be low again but hadn't noticed any pool on driveway. Also noticed first time (after the t-belt work 4k miles ago) that coolant was slightly low... topped it off. Anyway, I am just speculating that it could be around the oil-cooler with Bufkin pipe seals having issues with cold weather... I haven't checked thoroughly yet.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Bufkin pipe has nothing to do with oil…it's a coolant transfer pipe.

Originally Posted by tester123
Hello Forum,

It's been a while, Happy New Year!

Did anyone have any issue(s) with "Bufkin" pipes? If so, plz explain.

Long version: Few weeks ago on a cold morning, started the car to warm up and 10 mins later, go out drive and notice a nice puddle of oil. Don't know if that was from the night before or if it happened after starting the car (too dark). Had to put a quart in. After that didn't notice much of a leak but today noticed the level to be low again but hadn't noticed any pool on driveway. Also noticed first time (after the t-belt work 4k miles ago) that coolant was slightly low... topped it off. Anyway, I am just speculating that it could be around the oil-cooler with Bufkin pipe seals having issues with cold weather... I haven't checked thoroughly yet.
It's highly unusual to have an oil leak in that oil cooler unless someone screwed up with the figure-8 seal. A bufkin pipe or coolant transfer pipe failing will leak coolant, not engine oil.

There are of course other seals in the oil cooler but to replace the coolant transfer pipe you don't need to get into the oil cooler itself. Perhaps you have a loose nut on the oil filter pipe(s) or something like that, or even a loose oil filter. Some have had trouble with the old oil filter gasket sticking on the housing and then when putting on a new oil filter you have double gaskets and that can cause a leak. It's important to drop your belly pan and clearly find out where the oil leak is coming from.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's highly unusual to have an oil leak in that oil cooler unless someone screwed up with the figure-8 seal. A bufkin pipe or coolant transfer pipe failing will leak coolant, not engine oil.

There are of course other seals in the oil cooler but to replace the coolant transfer pipe you don't need to get into the oil cooler itself. Perhaps you have a loose nut on the oil filter pipe(s) or something like that, or even a loose oil filter. Some have had trouble with the old oil filter gasket sticking on the housing and then when putting on a new oil filter you have double gaskets and that can cause a leak. It's important to drop your belly pan and clearly find out where the oil leak is coming from.
I know, I have to drop the pan to see what's going on.. but this happened before and I couldn't trace the leak ...plus, I didn't check thoroughly at that time of oil change. No chance of second filter gasket stuck ... I do all my oil changes and I make sure. When I did the TB & VC job, I also replaced the oil cooler pipes with bufkin. that's why I was asking.. The oil couldn't be leaking from VC/seals because there is no oil burning smell whatsoever! Very strange.. Currently I have no access to tools / jacks to safely crawl under.... this will have to wait I guess.. Thanks for taking a shot though :-)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Get a bottle of UV dye and a black light source.

Originally Posted by tester123
I know, I have to drop the pan to see what's going on.. but this happened before and I couldn't trace the leak ...plus, I didn't check thoroughly at that time of oil change. No chance of second filter gasket stuck ... I do all my oil changes and I make sure. When I did the TB & VC job, I also replaced the oil cooler pipes with bufkin. that's why I was asking.. The oil couldn't be leaking from VC/seals because there is no oil burning smell whatsoever! Very strange.. Currently I have no access to tools / jacks to safely crawl under.... this will have to wait I guess.. Thanks for taking a shot though :-)
If you have a puddle of oil I can't see why after pulling the belly pan you wouldn't be able to detect where it was coming from. The fluorescent dye trick has worked well for me on virtually every system I've ever had to find a leak in from coolant to AC systems. It won't work in intake/vacuum systems, dang it.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree I did the pipe 10/13 and have not had a problem with it since.

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I think too as the Bufkin pipe has 4 seals instead of 2. I am inclined to believe it's not that. Just not sure where the oil is leaking from... I always hand-tighten the oil filter (I wear rubber gloves when working on car) as much as I can. So, I am wondering it could be that..... but like I said before, it's all a speculation as I have no tools / jacks and/or place to get under it for now... will post an update when I do find out.