A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Source for Service Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for Service Manual

Hey guys,

Where can i get a service manual for my 2001 A6 Avant Quatro? Looking for something a little better than a typical Haynes from the autopart store, but I can't even find those.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Bentley publishers. It's about $130.

Originally Posted by Rusty105
Hey guys,

Where can i get a service manual for my 2001 A6 Avant Quatro? Looking for something a little better than a typical Haynes from the autopart store, but I can't even find those.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Audi - Audi Repair Manual A6, S6: 1998-2004 - Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books
Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the Bentley for my Porsche, if the one for the Audi is anything close it is definitely the one to get.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its also available on Amazon.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dont get the paper Bentley, get the cd version if you're going to spend that much $$$. I have both and the cd version, as much as I hate turning on the computer for it, has twice the info, service bulletins (which are tricks the dealer figured after throwing $$$ at parts that didn't need replacing).

My advice: get a bootleg cd off eBay for $15. It will let you PRINT the chapters you need. Screw Bentley and their copy rights. After decades in business they couldn't figure out how to let us print without being able to make bootleg copies. Their philosophy: let's screw everybody because a handful of guys might make copies...

I have all three, and the bootleg cd is easier to use The book is too thick and ripped in half. It would be my favorite if it had all the info per specific model. It has too many models to fit so they cut out a bunch of stuff that's in the cd...I'd say the book is good if you have a lot of experience and you just want to check torque specs(no one remembers those).

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-ALL-MODELS-1994-2009-Service-Repair-Workshop-Manual-OEM-software-DVD-ROM-/261980366057?hash=item3cff3f24e9
The guy I bought mine from doesn't sell anymore(behind bars prolly ), but this should work...

Last edited by indoor; 08-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default While I cannot condone bootleg CD (IP if nothing else)

Originally Posted by indoor
Dont get the paper Bentley, get the cd version if you're going to spend that much $$$. I have both and the cd version, as much as I hate turning on the computer for it, has twice the info, service bulletins (which are tricks the dealer figured after throwing $$$ at parts that didn't need replacing).

My advice: get a bootleg cd off eBay for $15. It will let you PRINT the chapters you need. Screw Bentley and their copy rights. After decades in business they couldn't figure out how to let us print without being able to make bootleg copies. Their philosophy: let's screw everybody because a handful of guys might make copies...

I have all three, and the bootleg cd is easier to use The book is too thick and ripped in half. It would be my favorite if it had all the info per specific model. It has too many models to fit so they cut out a bunch of stuff that's in the cd...I'd say the book is good if you have a lot of experience and you just want to check torque specs(no one remembers those).

Here you go: Audi All Models 1994 2009 Service Repair Workshop Manual Software DVD ROM | eBay

The guy I bought mine from doesn't sell anymore(behind bars prolly ), but this should work...
It should be pointed out that Bentley doesn't really make the service manual…all the information if not the format comes from Audi. I remember updating my eBahn software one year and finding out it lost the information on replacing the coolant transfer pipe in the oil cooler on the 4.2V8 in the A6. I complained to Bentley and they said don't blame us; we just print what Audi gives us.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Amazon has it for a decent price. I personally haven't seen the manual myself as others mentioned that the manual doesn't delve into specifics if that matters. Best thing is this, https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Spoken like someone who has never seen the Factory Porsche Service Manuals.
I have them .. and your comment is pointless and irrelevant ,

OP the Bentley is a great manual .. go get one.

Last edited by Airbag; 09-02-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the system requirements before buying the DVD. The last supported operating systems are XP and Vista - anything newer and you must use XP mode using Virtual PC which may or may not be included in your OS. The good news is they have a web based version of the manuals still in beta testing - which I got access to after contacting customer service. The web based manual is way better than the DVD IMO but that may be because of my old POS Vista machine.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good point…forgot about the XP/Vista BS.

Originally Posted by dwengi
Check out the system requirements before buying the DVD. The last supported operating systems are XP and Vista - anything newer and you must use XP mode using Virtual PC which may or may not be included in your OS. The good news is they have a web based version of the manuals still in beta testing - which I got access to after contacting customer service. The web based manual is way better than the DVD IMO but that may be because of my old POS Vista machine.
I also have the Bentley paper manual but that's like $130. I use the web/beta version eBahn all the time. It's a little difficult to print from or copy a page to email or post here without screen printing to my desktop and then uploading from there.

I think Bentley has a winner with the web or cloud-based eBahn. Non of that software/obsolescence issue to deal with although I have had issues with other cloud-based applications that won't work on older Safari browsers and I have to use FireFox. I have the latest Safari that will work on my iMac but apparently there are even more modern versions that require an OS update that I haven't been willing to make because the newest OS updates seem to screw up other stuff. I'm using Mac OSX V10.7.5 which works well with the beta version eBahn.