A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Speaker wire colors for 02 audi a6 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker wire colors for 02 audi a6 quattro

If anyone could kindly send me the wire colors that correspond with each speaker in my 02 audi a6 quattro.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Epicshawn15
If anyone could kindly send me the wire colors that correspond with each speaker in my 02 audi a6 quattro.
Better than that, here's the wiring diagram for a 2002 a6.

Last edited by georgeb944; 07-23-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This pdf should tell you what the wires are by color and speaker, one thing I should also mention is the Bose speakers are 2ohm so make sure that new radio can handle that impedance load, my impression is that you are not using the Bose amp to power all of the speakers with the new radio as a pre-amp.

Good luck!

Sorry my pdf comes up blank, I try again

Last edited by jcman; 03-28-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
This pdf should tell you what the wires are by color and speaker, one thing I should also mention is the Bose speakers are 2ohm so make sure that new radio can handle that impedance load, my impression is that you are not using the Bose amp to power all of the speakers with the new radio as a pre-amp.

Good luck!

Sorry my pdf comes up blank, I try again
Well it can like i mentioned before the radio worked with the speakers but was tampered with
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well it can like i mentioned before the radio worked with the speakers but was tampered with
I'm confused, then you mean it worked without the Bose sub/amp or with it until someone performed the hack-job?

It's more informative to know this because that means the Bose amp has been by-passed.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm confused, then you mean it worked without the Bose sub/amp or with it until someone performed the hack-job?

It's more informative to know this because that means the Bose amp has been by-passed.
Yes it worked without the sub/amp in the trunk i assume that's what you're referring to, So it may have been by passed but the front speakers were the only speakers that were working before the hack-job. I purchased the metra harness for the back speakers, but at the moment i just want my front speakers to work until i purchase a new factory harness.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes it worked without the sub/amp in the trunk i assume that's what you're referring to, So it may have been by passed but the front speakers were the only speakers that were working before the hack-job. I purchased the metra harness for the back speakers, but at the moment i just want my front speakers to work until i purchase a new factory harness.
Got it.
How did the front speakers sound "quality" before this radio install?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The harness in your car might already have been monkeyed with and wired directly to the speakers, so I would just connect a small flashlight battery and listen for a click from each speaker to ID.

I took a look at the Symphony I Bose diagram in the paper Bentley manual and the wires from the Bose radio harness go to the rear amplifier and are not labeled by speaker or right left. However the wires from the rear amp to the speakers are labeled. It appears they use 3 pin plugs with a common ground for each door. The ground wire is not labeled, but probably black or brown.

Left front woofer green/yellow, Left front midrange(tweeter) green. Right front woofer green blue at amp to connector then green to speaker. Right front Mid range green brown from amp to connector then green yellow to speaker.

Left rear woofer green yellow from amp to speaker, left rear midrange green from amp to speaker. Right rear woofer, green blue from amp to connector then green yellow to speaker. Right rear midrange, green brown from amp to connector then green to speaker.

Also, the stock bose speakers might be 1 ohm or something odd, and not a typical 4/8 ohm impedance.

So you can by-pass the amp and run a 4 corner harness from the new radio back to the trunk and wire all the door speakers from there using the existing wiring. I don't prefer the common ground set up and a crossover might be needed if your head unit doesn't have separate outputs.

I have the stock Symph 1 with bose in my car, I don't think the sub woofer matters and the door speakers are so-so.

If I were putting in a new head unit, I would buy a fairly high power one and replace all the bose door speakers, and scrap the sub and amp and rewire the whole works with 2 conductors to each speaker. Others have upgraded the amp system, too. Your choice.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got it.
How did the front speakers sound "quality" before this radio install?
The quality was great not distortion what so ever .
Old 03-28-2015, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
The harness in your car might already have been monkeyed with and wired directly to the speakers, so I would just connect a small flashlight battery and listen for a click from each speaker to ID.

I took a look at the Symphony I Bose diagram in the paper Bentley manual and the wires from the Bose radio harness go to the rear amplifier and are not labeled by speaker or right left. However the wires from the rear amp to the speakers are labeled. It appears they use 3 pin plugs with a common ground for each door. The ground wire is not labeled, but probably black or brown.

Left front woofer green/yellow, Left front midrange(tweeter) green. Right front woofer green blue at amp to connector then green to speaker. Right front Mid range green brown from amp to connector then green yellow to speaker.

Left rear woofer green yellow from amp to speaker, left rear midrange green from amp to speaker. Right rear woofer, green blue from amp to connector then green yellow to speaker. Right rear midrange, green brown from amp to connector then green to speaker.

Also, the stock bose speakers might be 1 ohm or something odd, and not a typical 4/8 ohm impedance.

So you can by-pass the amp and run a 4 corner harness from the new radio back to the trunk and wire all the door speakers from there using the existing wiring. I don't prefer the common ground set up and a crossover might be needed if your head unit doesn't have separate outputs.

I have the stock Symph 1 with bose in my car, I don't think the sub woofer matters and the door speakers are so-so.

If I were putting in a new head unit, I would buy a fairly high power one and replace all the bose door speakers, and scrap the sub and amp and rewire the whole works with 2 conductors to each speaker. Others have upgraded the amp system, too. Your choice.
Thanks for the colors, however i was thinking of buying a new factory harness or go to my local junk yard, i just need the front speakers to work temporarily until i can get the harness. I already have the metra harness with the rca's for the rear speakers. Im just tired of riding around with just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Speaker wire colors for 02 audi a6 quattro