A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Speaker wire colors for 02 audi a6 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you had good sound quality in front, I would see what happens when you run "provisional" wires from the rear speaker outputs on the new head unit to the wires in the trunk from the amp to the rear speakers per the colors in whichever wiring diagram that matches your car. If you hear nothing, I would expect that the amp has already been bypassed and there are wires to the rear speakers buried somewhere.

FYI, my Bentley wire colors did not match with the pdf that was in this thread. I noticed the pdf diagram was for a Concert radio which is why I used my manual for bose. Given the mistakes in Bentley, I would not trust either 100%.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

At this point, I'm not sure exactly what you want to end up with.
Regardless, it sounds like you're way ahead of me on this.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkk
At this point, I'm not sure exactly what you want to end up with.
Regardless, it sounds like you're way ahead of me on this.
I just want my front speakers working again that's all, without the harness i connected the speaker wires directly to the wires of the radio, when i connected them i got sound but it wasnt clear the sound would come then crackle and go back low then repeat i just want my front speakers playing straight through. Thats why i need to know what speakers correspond to the color of the wire.Thanks for helping by the way
Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to add to the confusion but johnkk and I did mention Bose speaker impedance being different @2 ohms, some amps can't handle anything lower then 4 ohms.

If the old radio worked on the fronts then it sounds like either the new radio speakers wires out don't match the old one's.......or the new radio out-put wires may need to be set-up within the radio's "set-up menu" if it has that feature....I don't know this.

Most all aftermarket radio's have a diagram on them, did you match the wires corresponding to this?

Last edited by jcman; 03-29-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

According to section 2 of your installation manual it claims "Do not use 1 to 3 ohm speakers" I'm wondering if the JVC radio could handle lower ohm rated speakers.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Not trying to add to add to the confusion but johnkk and I did mention Bose speaker impedance being different @2 ohms, some amps can't handle anything lower then 4 ohms.

If the old radio worked on the fronts then it sounds like either the new radio speakers wires out don't match the old one's.......or the new radio out-put wires may need to be set-up within the radio's "set-up menu" if it has that feature....I don't know this.

Most all aftermarket radio's have a diagram on them, did you match the wires corresponding to this?
The old radio (jvc) did work and so did the new one (pioneer) and i have the diagram for the radio i just dont know which ones to match it to on the car
Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Epicshawn15
The old radio (jvc) did work and so did the new one (pioneer) and i have the diagram for the radio i just dont know which ones to match it to on the car
Then you didn't note the wires before you took them off the JVC?

Maybe I read into things a little too deep without full description from the very first question, I should asked that one too.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Then you didn't note the wires before you took them off the JVC?

Maybe I read into things a little too deep without full description from the very first question, I should asked that one too.
Well i didnt take them off my step father did but i cant get into contact with him so... im pretty stuck at the moment
Old 03-28-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Epicshawn15
Well i didnt take them off my step father did but i cant get into contact with him so... im pretty stuck at the moment
The wires you mentioned in the very first post are just one color wires, right?
That would mean that they are not stock wires "add-on's" because the stock one's are dual color coded, only four wires should be to the fronts and you have six.....a real head scratcher for sure.

As mentioned before you can ring out the wires with a AA 1.5v only battery, a pop and there it is and correct polarity gives the loudest thump if I'm correct, outside of this I'm still very convinced that you should not use a 4ohm amp with 2ohm speakers.......a toaster is a toaster not an amp.

Last edited by jcman; 03-28-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an update guys, I finally got the speakers to work so thanks for all your help i appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Speaker wire colors for 02 audi a6 quattro