A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Starts and Dies Right Away

Old 12-18-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm still a bit unsure

and how do you know your uncontrolable shake isnt something in the shaft to the rear diff .. check that too ...
I came across a page that mentions the shaking may be due to the center support bearing.
Audi Driveshaft - Audi Driveshaft Repair Kits for Quattro's
Is there an easy way to access this? I crawled under and it appears to be hidden by a guard underneath the exhaust pipes. Being at the ends of the driveshaft, I have no way to tell if the bearing has play without removing all of the above.

Metal discolouration is pretty standard on CV joints.
They are heat hardened post manufacture.
Yeah, I figured they were hardened and tempered, but I thought it was odd that they were only discolored in those wear areas. I have some heat treat experience, so I thought it may be building excess heat. Thanks for the tip on the hex bit though. I ended up getting the correct bit and it took an impact driver to get it off.

Anyway, I ordered a half shaft on eBay and it turned out to be incompatible with my car (the eBay compatability tool was wrong...), so I need to find another or rip it off my parts car (I would prefer to buy new). I'm having a TON of trouble finding a new rear half shaft for this car. There are lots of front ones, but no luck (without uncertainty) for the rear. Any help? If I can buy the rzeppa joint, I'd be fine with that too.

I'm not trying to ask for too much help here, but it's been frustrating finding the right one. Even the autopart stores can't get one, and offer only rebuilds.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going to throw my 2 cents in this thread that rear shafts are pretty rare to go bad unless you are belting out some major horse power or a boot was torn and you know the rest of that story, I wouldn't be too worried about a rebuilt rear half shaft on a 14yr old car with a base engine and the same would be on the front too.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the weather warmed up and I finally got a replacement CV axle assembly in (wasn't actually the right one, but I made it work), and did a test drive. The vibration is still there!

I guess next up will be checking out the center support bearing and u-joint. Luckily I have a parts car, and I may just do a whole driveshaft replacement, as that seems to be the 'easiest'. I'm basing this hopeful diagnosis on the blauparts link I shared above, as well as some other forum posts. Any suggestions are welcome, as I'll be putting the car up on jackstands and doing this in my garage..

From BlauParts:
Symptom: Quattro driveshaft vibration is felt from the center underside of the car, especially when straight line accelerating. Much of the shudder is felt through the shift lever upon acceleration. The shudder worsens when taking off from a stop sign and smoothes out somewhat when the car gains speed and/or when you let off the gas pedal.

Repair Solution: 1) Make sure the vehicle is turned off and in park. Inspect the Audi center support bearing. Has the rubber that surrounds the middle of the bearing separated from the bearing bracket? If the rubber has separated from the bracket, replacement of the center support bearing in needed. 2) At the driveshaft yoke in the middle of the driveshaft you'll see the universal joint. Grab the front half and the rear half of the driveshaft with your hands. Twisting from side to side, see if there is any play in the Audi universal joint. If there is, replacement of the Audi universal joint is necessary.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Huh? The rzeppa joint is available from ECStuning.com

Originally Posted by stupid939
I came across a page that mentions the shaking may be due to the center support bearing.
Audi Driveshaft - Audi Driveshaft Repair Kits for Quattro's
Is there an easy way to access this? I crawled under and it appears to be hidden by a guard underneath the exhaust pipes. Being at the ends of the driveshaft, I have no way to tell if the bearing has play without removing all of the above.

Yeah, I figured they were hardened and tempered, but I thought it was odd that they were only discolored in those wear areas. I have some heat treat experience, so I thought it may be building excess heat. Thanks for the tip on the hex bit though. I ended up getting the correct bit and it took an impact driver to get it off.

Anyway, I ordered a half shaft on eBay and it turned out to be incompatible with my car (the eBay compatability tool was wrong...), so I need to find another or rip it off my parts car (I would prefer to buy new). I'm having a TON of trouble finding a new rear half shaft for this car. There are lots of front ones, but no luck (without uncertainty) for the rear. Any help? If I can buy the rzeppa joint, I'd be fine with that too.

I'm not trying to ask for too much help here, but it's been frustrating finding the right one. Even the autopart stores can't get one, and offer only rebuilds.

I've got a spare one I'm saving for the next time I have to replace my RF CVJ boot.