A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering rack

Hi all,

haven't posted in a while since the A6 has been temporarily put out to pasture - water pump failed in early november, luckily i was 100' from my office and was able to park right as all the coolant dumped out, luckily nothing was damaged, anyway, that was about the last straw as my wife was concerned since i had just spent $2k a couple months prior replacing the alternator and some suspension parts, so she thought it might be a good idea to look for a new car. long story short about a week later (on her birthday no less) we test drove and soon after bought a sweet 2008 S6, gray with white leather, had new A8 rims on it with the original rims in the trunk which i soon mounted snows on, also has a K40 Calibre radar system installed w/ front and rear detectors and stealth led warning lights in the dash - but it's not hooked up as i haven't gotten it to work yet, i'll have to get it checked out before we go on our summer road trips. whoever owned it took immaculate care as it was in almost perfect condition, fairly high mileage at 88k (supposedly mostly highway if that matters), but it runs so smooth, i had always thought my A6 was a fairly nice smooth highway cruiser until i drove this, what a difference - the V10 is fun, speed comes on very fast and smooth and before you know it you're doing 70 in a 40, it's not a rocket off the line but it'll do (semi sarcastic tone). the only downside was the transmission as didn't want to have to give up my stick, (i test drove an S4, but for a family hauler it's way too small) but it's funny how soon you forget about that third pedal......anyway, back to the subject or the post, so i had the timing belt done on the A6, also during this time i've had a leaky steering rack, shop told me rack needed to be replaced, so since i had the new ride and haven't needed it, it's just sitting parked in the snow - question is, has anyone replaced their rack and approx. how much labor is involved (shop told me probably 10 hours)? and is it worth it if i'm going to be selling it in the spring? my thinking is i might not lose money if i replace it because it may be a tough sell as is with a squealing rack knowing it needs to be replaced, so i'm sure i'm going to get a low ball offer, or do i just write it off and take whatever i can get? i can get a reman. rack at rockauto for something like $400ish, i'm just not sure about the labor - my shop didn't want to do it. i've been trying Lucas stop leak liquid as a $5 stop gap, but it hasn't provided any long term fix.....it was worth a try. if anyone has any insite or knows of someone in CT who does racks, i'd appreciate any info
Old 03-20-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default racks don't squeal. P/S pumps might, belts do.

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
Hi all,

haven't posted in a while since the A6 has been temporarily put out to pasture - water pump failed in early november, luckily i was 100' from my office and was able to park right as all the coolant dumped out, luckily nothing was damaged, anyway, that was about the last straw as my wife was concerned since i had just spent $2k a couple months prior replacing the alternator and some suspension parts, so she thought it might be a good idea to look for a new car. long story short about a week later (on her birthday no less) we test drove and soon after bought a sweet 2008 S6, gray with white leather, had new A8 rims on it with the original rims in the trunk which i soon mounted snows on, also has a K40 Calibre radar system installed w/ front and rear detectors and stealth led warning lights in the dash - but it's not hooked up as i haven't gotten it to work yet, i'll have to get it checked out before we go on our summer road trips. whoever owned it took immaculate care as it was in almost perfect condition, fairly high mileage at 88k (supposedly mostly highway if that matters), but it runs so smooth, i had always thought my A6 was a fairly nice smooth highway cruiser until i drove this, what a difference - the V10 is fun, speed comes on very fast and smooth and before you know it you're doing 70 in a 40, it's not a rocket off the line but it'll do (semi sarcastic tone). the only downside was the transmission as didn't want to have to give up my stick, (i test drove an S4, but for a family hauler it's way too small) but it's funny how soon you forget about that third pedal......anyway, back to the subject or the post, so i had the timing belt done on the A6, also during this time i've had a leaky steering rack, shop told me rack needed to be replaced, so since i had the new ride and haven't needed it, it's just sitting parked in the snow - question is, has anyone replaced their rack and approx. how much labor is involved (shop told me probably 10 hours)? and is it worth it if i'm going to be selling it in the spring? my thinking is i might not lose money if i replace it because it may be a tough sell as is with a squealing rack knowing it needs to be replaced, so i'm sure i'm going to get a low ball offer, or do i just write it off and take whatever i can get? i can get a reman. rack at rockauto for something like $400ish, i'm just not sure about the labor - my shop didn't want to do it. i've been trying Lucas stop leak liquid as a $5 stop gap, but it hasn't provided any long term fix.....it was worth a try. if anyone has any insite or knows of someone in CT who does racks, i'd appreciate any info
A leaking rack is one thing, a squealing rack doesn't make sense.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess i mis- spoke, it groans when the fluid runs low
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess i mis- spoke, it groans when the fluid runs low
Where are you loosing the fluid?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i think there is a filter in the bottom of the tank. If the pump starves for fluid, thats the noise. Sounds like an old toy with plastic gears grinding a bit...?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, missed earlier response, mechanic just said the rack is leaking.....and yes, when the fluid is low it bubbles up and makes sounds, not sure if like grinding gears, maybe a little, but groans when you turn the wheel. When there is fluid on the ground, it's not directly under the tank, it's more towards the rear
Old 03-30-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, missed earlier response, mechanic just said the rack is leaking.....and yes, when the fluid is low it bubbles up and makes sounds, not sure if like grinding gears, maybe a little, but groans when you turn the wheel. When there is fluid on the ground, it's not directly under the tank, it's more towards the rear
Yep sounds like the rack end seals are shot.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so in attempts to avoid shelling out a lot of cash to replace the rack, i've been trying the $10 fixes first, as i stated earlier, i first tried the Lucas stop leak fluid (it turned to a vaseline consistency in freezing temps, which i can't imagine was good), this stuff would last a couple days but eventually drain out and be back to the groaning. so a couple weeks ago i got the Bars leaks version, which is actually a two part liquid, but it's been a couple weeks and so far the fluid level has not dropped and not a groan to be heard, so crossing my fingers it holds up. as much as these band-aid fixes are frowned upon, i have to tell you, early on into ownership of the A6 (bought it used 3 years old), i had a coolant leak that my mechanic couldn't locate, so he said if i didn't want to dump a lot of money into searching for the leak to give Bars leaks tablets a try, so i popped in however many were recommended and needless to say that $4 fix lasted probably 5 years or so, until i had to replace the turbos and was able to get to the source of the leak with the engine out
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

[...] i had a coolant leak that my mechanic couldn't locate, so he said if i didn't want to dump a lot of money into searching for the leak to give Bars leaks tablets a try, so i popped in however many were recommended and needless to say that $4 fix lasted probably 5 years or so[...]
If it lasted that long and didn't clog up anything else - you're one of the lucky ones. For most, its an extended temp band-aid. Bars leaks worked for about a year for my heater core.

A power steering pump usually push 700-1000 psi pressure, and isn't bound together by plenty of flexible, slightly expandable hoses. Don't expect any additive to fix this. If you're unsure if its end seals, check behind the inner tie rod gaiters. Lube is good, power steering fluid is obviously bad. Might have one of those one-time clamps on it though. Depending on the rack, there may be a 2-piece gaiter on the passenger side.

I guess a mechanic that has done that specific job a few times could do it in a little less, but its atleast a whole days job. A proper Audi trademarked PITA one. Might want to probe the market with it "as is", if you're not really in a vast hurry to sell it. I'm not sure what you're (realism please) hoping to get for it - but unless your mechanic is really cheap on labor, don't expect to recover that repair cost when you sell it. Labor is the real money drain on this kind of job.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my thinking was i'd probably recover the repair cost, lets say the car is worth $4k in good working order, but if i disclose that the rack needs replacement, no one's going to pay me 4k, probably get offered 2500 - but it's going to be a wash either way, my thought is i'd probably lose money if i don't fix it as who wants to buy an old car that's going to need a fairly pricey repair, maybe i get offered $2k? but you're right, maybe i just cut my losses and let it go for whatever i can get, now that it's starting to show it's age - washer fluid is leaking, rust is starting to bubble up around the front wheel wells, rear headliner started to fall in the corner which i've pinned up and driver seat is getting a little worse for wear (DON'T use Fibrenew to fix holes in leather), but other than that the interior and exterior are in pretty good condition and it drives solidly......i'm obviously somewhat attached to it and hate to let it go - it's still a badass car! hence my other arguement, if it's only worth $2k, why bother selling it if it stays "healthy" and can serve as the family backup car and Lowe's hauler for lumber and mulch.....i feel like Pinto in Animal House with the devil and angel on his shoulders trying to make up my mind.

Quick Reply: steering rack