A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

steering wheel controls with afternmarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel controls with afternmarket head unit

2001 A6 2.7T with Symphony Bose. Symphony CD player has been dead for years. Started to experience intermittent right channel speaker outages on Dension iceLink iPod interface (never on radio). Decided to replace Symphony with a Pioneer head unit with iPod interface. What a nightmare... Extremely frustrated after weeks of experiments.

Bought the Axxess ASWC, but their application guide assumes I have a CAN-BUS steering wheel and steering wheel, which I don't. I tried to connect as for the Concert head unit (yellow/white REMO connection), but that didn't work. Someone suggested the non-CAN radio used the CLK and DATA lines for steering wheel controls. I tried those, and no joy.

Has anyone successfully integrated a non-CAN BUS multi-function steering wheel with an aftermarket head unit?

Pleeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeee......

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder
2001 A6 2.7T with Symphony Bose. Symphony CD player has been dead for years. Started to experience intermittent right channel speaker outages on Dension iceLink iPod interface (never on radio). Decided to replace Symphony with a Pioneer head unit with iPod interface. What a nightmare... Extremely frustrated after weeks of experiments.

Bought the Axxess ASWC, but their application guide assumes I have a CAN-BUS steering wheel and steering wheel, which I don't. I tried to connect as for the Concert head unit (yellow/white REMO connection), but that didn't work. Someone suggested the non-CAN radio used the CLK and DATA lines for steering wheel controls. I tried those, and no joy.

Has anyone successfully integrated a non-CAN BUS multi-function steering wheel with an aftermarket head unit?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Try the PAC SWI-RC or SWI-PS. I just installed a Kenwood DNX9990HD and used the SWI-Jack, (You need the RC or PS to work with the Pioneer) and it works GREAT, mapped the > button to mute and the < button to control the source. Also had no joy with the Metra (Axxess) unit.

Good luck.

Joe
Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Any luck getting steering wheel controls functional?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mroberte
Any luck getting steering wheel controls functional?

If the manufacturing date of your vehicle is 7/01 or later, then Crutchfield has a solution for it.

See link here:
Crux SWRAD-55 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain the factory amp and steering wheel audio controls in select 2001-10 Audi models at Crutchfield.com
Old 03-21-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nrsource19
If the manufacturing date of your vehicle is 7/01 or later, then Crutchfield has a solution for it.

See link here:
Crux SWRAD-55 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain the factory amp and steering wheel audio controls in select 2001-10 Audi models at Crutchfield.com
Man that's a lot of cash for a adapter kit! Looks like a 30 dollar module and 15 bucks worth of wiring with connectors, Crutchfield is never shy on their pricing with the ups and extras like HDMI cables too.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up buying this: SW Commands Interface - For Aftermarket Radio - Unican - Products - Paser Srl

Crutchfield actually confirm their product works? It states to 2010 vehicles, and I know that the newer 2013+ models have different plugs (the plugs in the picture on CF are not going to work on a 2015 A3)

However, looks like any "solution" will only get you volume up/down and the mute button to function on the newer cars. The rest of the buttons on the steering wheel aren't functional from the boxes. I could be wrong, but so far, nada for the 2015 US spec A3.

Last edited by mroberte; 03-24-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

PAC makes great stuff and never seem to have any problems with their product. We have used the SWI in multiple vehicles over the years and always works.
I have have the PAC one for my car but have yet to install it as the car isn't on the road yet. And when I take it apart I am also installing my remote start and dropping wires to replace the Bose system. I would much rather these cars came with the Monsoon system since it sounds 10x better than Bose.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a PAC interface I used on my 2000 A6 if you want it I'll let it go for cheap and it was flawless. Every button worked and I miss it. My 02 uses a different one and Ive not gotten it as of yet
Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

try avic411.com