A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Wiring

Hello i have an 02 audi a6 quattro. My wiring harness has been cut out and im left with just the Green, Brown, Blue, Yellow, Black, and White wire. Im trying to install my aftermarket pioneer radio ( deh 23ub ), my problem is getting the front speakers to work I get sound but its always distorted, crackling, or not at full power. Any help please guys.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Epicshawn15
Hello i have an 02 audi a6 quattro. My wiring harness has been cut out and im left with just the Green, Brown, Blue, Yellow, Black, and White wire. Im trying to install my aftermarket pioneer radio ( deh 23ub ), my problem is getting the front speakers to work I get sound but its always distorted, crackling, or not at full power. Any help please guys.
Hello new member.

Tell us about the original sound system first and what's left of it, and who cut into the wires?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The original was a symphomy with bose, i have im guessing the other harness but the speaker harness is gone. And im not sure who cut the harness i bought the car used.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The original was a symphomy with bose, i have im guessing the other harness but the speaker harness is gone. And im not sure who cut the harness i bought the car used.
Here is where things can get complicated:
The stock Bose Symphony I or II has also a sub with the main power amp built into it so the head is just a pre-amp, beginning with 02 on with these systems a canbus signal is required from the radio head.

Lets start with a few other questions first: Did the car have the original radio and sub/amp when you bought it? I presume that it did not.
Does the car have a dolphin fin on the roof?? This would have to do about the antenna connection requirements.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for spending time with my complication by the way. But no the original symphony was not installed it was some cheap jvc radio. Also the radio stays powered on when the car is off and they key is removed. And im gonna assume dolphin fin is sun roof maybe if so then yes
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha just saw what a dolphin fin is and no it doesnt not have one i apologize.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for spending time with my complication by the way. But no the original symphony was not installed it was some cheap jvc radio. Also the radio stays powered on when the car is off and they key is removed. And im gonna assume dolphin fin is sun roof maybe if so then yes
Hey no problem, I'm going to try my best to help but I need the whole complete picture to do so...like being a detective guessing on what the last owner did or did not with the JVC install at that time.

The dolphin fin is for the sat option with Bose, just an other antenna.

I still need to know if the sub/amp is in the trunk (right side under the side cover) and if it does work or did as far if you know?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well the sub amp is in the back right of the trunk i have the metra harness to activate it but i dont have the factory harness so i wouldnt know if it works basically im connecting the stereo wires of the radio to the speaker wires of the car, the rear speakers do not work well because i dont have the rca attached the radio did work with the jvc and also with the pioneer but when my step father tried to install the metra harness he failed to realize that the factory harness was missing.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well the sub amp is in the back right of the trunk i have the metra harness to activate it but i dont have the factory harness so i wouldnt know if it works basically im connecting the stereo wires of the radio to the speaker wires of the car, the rear speakers do not work well because i dont have the rca attached the radio did work with the jvc and also with the pioneer but when my step father tried to install the metra harness he failed to realize that the factory harness was missing.
Wow there's been some butchering going on and a aftermarket add-on too, I'm going to have to shut down for now but I'll be back up tomorrow.

You can also check the Features/Tech Articles tab on the top of the page for plenty of great info along with a STF (search the forums) too, many pin-outs have been posted regarding wire colors and what the others are.

This link has also a ton of very great info: Links for Audi A6 Owners

Study Up! Ultimately you will be doing the deed so the more you know the better we can help.... with some assistance of course.

Signing out for now.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Stereo

Your going to get varied responses about how to go about doing this but if it were me ( and it has been on both of my a6's) I'd ignore the factory wiring and run new speaker wire from the head unit to the speakers and put in GOOD speakers. The bose system is SO overrated... Theyre paper cones for crying out loud! If you must use the factory setup I'd go to the junk yard and cut a plug out of a doner car to splice back into the harness and start from there with the correct adapter harness witch you sound like you already have. I can tell you from experience the rca to speaker adapter for the amp is big and doesn't like to fit behind the radio. I bougfht my 00 a6 with the pioneer dvd im currently using in my 02 and if I pushed on the radio trhe front speakers crackled and I ended up replacing the amp (s) turned into two, all four speakers, and put in a 12 sub. Much better than the factory. Either way if you've got a bently the wiring schematic is in there to piece the wiring together but I've not messed with the can-bus and what it needs to operate the factory amp ( that is likely going to fry shortly if you've got a sunroof if not already toast)

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring