A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Test Driving a 1998 A6 TOMORROW...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The one factor that has to be considered is that these cars are somewhat unrelaiable and are vey expensive to fix. keep that in mind if paying 5-8k out the door. Just about everyone on this forum gets their hands dirty at some point to keep their car going. This is why i believe our cars prices are depressed.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BeOhBe;24554321]Did you switch from FWD to AWD when you got to powertrain options? It's set to FWD by default. And did you pick "from a dealer" or "from a private party" when it asks you that? I still come up with nearly 4k for the FWD from a dealer in good or better condition in the NYC zipcode. Do you live in Germany or something?

Well is was sorta early when I did it and I used private party and probably failed miserably on the AWD v FWD but I'm still not a $5000 sort of buyer, if it was me.

I've made the "fall in love" purchase mistake myself so I understand how it can go.

Like I said to the OP make sure you are sure before you write the check. We all know he is going to spend some serious cash on it even if he does his own work. As usual I wish him good luck. If all goes well he has a seriously nice ride.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 94CSI
I work for a car dealership and trade in in good shape would be over 2k. If anyone thinks they are going to buy one (in good shape) for $1500 you are crazy. I will admit we get plenty of people that think cars are worth far less then market value and make offers...and we kick them out. Let's stop giving the op bad pricing advice. I checked manheim and 2 with nearly 200k on them have recently gone thru and both sold for $1600. Of course he should only pay what he is comfortable with but if ANYONE knows where 30k cars in good shape with maintenance records and a clean car fax go for $1500-2000 you need to open a dealership and start selling them to the rest of us. Close rant
My price estimate was based on what is most likely a fraudulent odometer reading or flooded car or otherwise 'story' car.
Yeah…just where is that little old lady from Pasadena who only drove it to church (and then straight to the strip) on Sundays?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCaudi007
Thanks all.....I was a little worried but it seems there are some similar minded people here and I appreciate the advice. I am in agreement that despite the low miles (which could be a sign of trouble)a 16yr old car is still going to have some issues.

KBB and Nada book both put it at 5200-5400 based on good to better condition and the car is immaculate since its been dealer detailed but the real question is the mechanics. Ill let everyone know how things work out.
Here's another thought…check with your insurance agent on what the totaled value of the car is. My guess is virtually any repair will total the car and you will get, presto, $2K.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Here's another thought…check with your insurance agent on what the totaled value of the car is. My guess is virtually any repair will total the car and you will get, presto, $2K.
Agree. We're all pretty much driving around in cars that the insurance adjuster would laugh at. "You think it's worth what?"
HAH HAH, 15 year old vehicles don't engender much sympathy from Flo.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Im sorry you can try validate it anyway you want but a low mileage 98 a6 quattro with service records and a clean title is not a 2k car plain and simple and its not helpful to anyone to say it is. Your are always welcome to your opinion but if you want to be taken seriously their needs to be merit in your words.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

CONCLUSION OF ADVENTURE:

yes this was the car in question....the 8k Paterson car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-2-8-QUATTRO-1998-AUDI-A6-2-8-AWD-QUATTRO-/121290835773?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c3d7f473d&item=121290835773&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
NO I had no plans of paying anywhere near 8k even in superb condition and spoke to multiple people there to confirm that was the ebay price but that it was negotiable.

That said

Condition:

- Damage/ripple on the driver side door and back week wheel...shopping cart-esq rub but no cuts in paint
- typical wear and tear
- engine and trans shifted and ran smoothly
- no leaks before or after spirited test drive
- alignment good, sudden braked test came out straight
- suspension bounced well
- bushings were not new but were not dried or rotted
- minimal corrosion on part were suspension mounted but in really great shape
- broken radio antenna but still functioned fine
- speakers rattled...maybe blow or ripped speakers
- no water leaks in trunk
- all electronics functioned well
- triptonic seemed to work...kinda...seemed to pick and choose what it wanted to listen to
- car stayed cool though it was 35 out

MAJOR ISSUES:
- console screen was so pixelated it was UNREADABLE...was told he could send it out for $150....sound like BS to me

- AC did not work...compressor clutch did not engage...could be fuse could be $$$$$$$$. Aux fan would not turn on regardless of systems activated.

- Despite 16years of full service records of everything from oild changes, washer fluid, to recall fix on a harness NO TIMING BELT service which is 7yr or 70k. So its double overdue and his inhouse guy at favor price quoted $1500. Guy tried to say "well it may have been done" but literally washer fluid refills were on the carfax but not the $2000 service...bull$hit.

With financing at PenFed at 1.5% (why not...free money) approved, insurance quotes ready I was prepared to make an offer AFTER the AC was fixed, error codes check, timing belt serviced. That said it would be a real world offer as KBB/Nada value assume services are up to date.

Suddenly I was told the 8k was non-negotiable despite having said otherwise before. It was like speaking to a crazy person. He said now that "its Spring prices go up 40% and the price was based on the low mileage" which I do believe is actual mileage. I informed him that this car has no collectible value and that book values included mileage but and old car is an old car. I understand there are no other 36k 98 A6s anywhere but that doesnt mean it gets an incredible premium as repair cost will send the car to be parted long before mileage kills the engine. He would not budged and I apologized for wasting his time despite the fact that I was mislead on price and condition and took a day off from my job in finance in NYC to walk around Paterson NJ.

The car will see one day...its pretty...someone who doesn't know any better will get sucked in or someone who is looking for a DUBs platform. That said to anyone who knows anything the car might as well be at the bottom of the ocean as it is unobtainable by any reasonable means at a reasonable cost.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like a $1500 car.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Sounds like a $1500 car.

...with $5,000.00 in outstanding repairs.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Plugged heater core not withstanding you were smart to walk away from this maintenance nightmare. No timing belt service on a 16 year old Audi???? Gosh what else could be wrong?

Keep looking. Lots a really well maintained older Audis out there. Good luck.

( I see this one on ebay too, looks good in the pictures but glamour shots are deceptive aren't they?)

Quick Reply: Test Driving a 1998 A6 TOMORROW...Help!