A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Thinking of purchasing first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing first Audi

Hi, I am close to buying 2007 Audi A6, it has 90k miles on it, going for 11k... What are your guys's thoughts? Will I run into problems with the car will it be a headache? Car fax shows no accidents or problems. What should I look into and is the 90k miles good will it last me for a while? I am a college student but don't live on campus.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Wrong forum.

If you have to pay to have it worked on, you will be poor. If you work on it yourself, your studies will suffer, but you will acquire skills which might keep you from working at McDonalds after you graduate.

Make sure you have a garage stocked with lots of metric tools. Buy a VCDS for diagnosis.

Have lots of cash in the bank for emergencies. Have good credit for the times when you will be renting a car to get to school.

All cars have problems. Some, like Audis, have expensive problems. Some, like Toyota and Honda, have relatively cheap problems.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In my opinion, the risk outweighs the reward...

… I love my Audis and have had nine of them, so I am a fan of the marque.

However, you probably have lot's of responsibilities and demands if you are a full time student (I am a college professor in the sciences), so the last thing you need is a troublesome car with expensive problems. The trouble with all German cars is that they are very expensive to repair, complicated and relatively DIY unfriendly (although I remain a dedicated DIY-er).

The mileage on the A6 suggests a timing chain replacement is near as are other rather expensive maintenance - think $3k+

As much as I would love to suggest that its a great choice, I am afraid my suggestion is think Japanese…

One consideration to have is the option of leasing new. My daughter has done two VW leases and they are so cheap. If you think a $7K used car - that's nearly all the cost of three year lease (with warrantee, high reliability, etc). Insurance will be more, but so will piece of mind.

Good luck - keep us posted :-)

Eric
Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The dealership I am buying it from...

- PARTS AT COST AND $30 AN HOUR LABOR FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN THE VEHICLE!

Is that some BS, or would it be helpful for this car?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not sure how to interpret that...

Nationally that is about 1/3 the going hourly rate (although these jobs are usually a flat rate calculation). Not sure they could pay a certified Audi Tech at that rate… sounds kind of suspicious
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

is the dealership an Audi dealership ??
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Having a proper inspection is a must on these cars. Below are things I'd want to know from the results of the inspection:

-The C6 3.2 is known for carbon build-up on the valves which if it hasn't been done, it's due for it. That will be at least a few hundred dollars for a cleaning job.

-At that mileage, I'd want to make sure the transmission fluid has already been changed (otherwise I'd walk away completely).

-Suspension bushings, engine mounts, and shocks (are they worn or in good shape). Mine were destroyed at 75k miles.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Don't do it! You will be a bad-*** in an Audi while it is running but as soon as it hits a problem, forgetaboutit!

If you try and fix it yourself there just isn't much info out there with detailed instructions. Get a BMW instead, tons of help compared to an Audi. I have a 2001 A6 with only 115K on engine and I am ready to set it on fire!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Ouch! You are scaring the hell out of the kid guys! LOL

Okay, here are my thoughts. It is true that maintaining an Audi can be expensive. But if you are lucky enough, you can end up with a car free of problems which can be exceptionally reliable for its age and mileage. My case.

The first thing to consider is the price. If it's too low, there must be something wrong. Skip.

Second, request a CARFAX and study it thoroughly.

Three, request to have it checked by a professional.

Fourth, drive it yourself on a long enough distance and make your decision.

Fifth, like any other used cars with no warranty, after the purchase, have money spared in case something goes bad.

Sixth, if you want to keep it problem free for a long time, and have less breakdowns, drive it gracefully.

Seventh, come here often and learn about the car.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

dont get the audi ...

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing first Audi