A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Thinkng of buying my first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkng of buying my first Audi

Hi all, looking at purchasing a 2001 A6 27t(fully loaded).
This car based on pictures appears to be in great shape. 130,000 miles and supposedly everything operates normally. It has an auto transmission, new timing belt/pulley and water pump. Interior and exterior are in great shape. might need tires before the next winter season. Other than that the price seems right? 2500.00.
What are all your thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

any and all parts for these cars are significantly more expensive than American and Japanese cars. if the torque converter has not been replaced yet, at some point you will have to replace it and its not a particularly easy job. if youre going to be paying a tech to do your repairs and service, labor is intensive and expensive. damn good running car when all is well though. before you pull the trigger, drive it down the highway at a cruising speed and make sure your RPMs are down in the around 1500 range and the engine isn't screaming at you. that will indicate that failed torque converter. seems once that TC fails everyone wants to get rid of them to dump that repair on someone else (don't blame them).
Old 02-15-2017, 02:47 AM
Banned

Hello, wish you the best for your new car. I think that your choice is great! All Audi models are very reliable cars.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure I agree with dingus. The torque converter issue is most often only a seal that no longer seals well and thus keeps the lock up from working properly. This thread covers some of the explanation. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...codes-2840516/
There are many more detailed threads on this forum that explain it more thoroughly. Search the forum for torque converter lockup or similar.
It is a great car that is fun to drive. However, it is 16 years old and will definitely need TLC and many $ to keep up with whatever has used up its life. If you are not a DIY then it is likely going to be a losing proposition. Or you will need to find an Audi indy who you trust.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Check them turbos!

It also might not be a bad idea to learn about the health of the turbos. It's pretty hard to poke around for any signs of damage, but listen for that awful dentist drill sound. A turbo job is $$$, and a difficult diy for these cars.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ConfusedSkunk: Have you ever had the 0741 lockup issue? I understand the offending part was updated in later years, meaning 2003 or so? If so, when I look for my next 2.7 it would be nice to know.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
ConfusedSkunk: Have you ever had the 0741 lockup issue? I understand the offending part was updated in later years, meaning 2003 or so? If so, when I look for my next 2.7 it would be nice to know.
clancy,
Mine's a 6mt, so I don't have torque converter
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even better.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
I do enjoy from time to time throwing a wrench under the hood. I currently own a 01 cummins pu, that will soon be traded in towards a ecoboost f150. I performed all maintenance and upgrades to this truck out of my garagesince day one(i have a hard time with dealers carelessness). I also own a 16 hellcat that will see maybe 2000 miles/year. This is why i am interested in buying this car. So far what ive learned is for this model of Audi, the first things to go out are the timing belt/pulleys and tc. Any other good info is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Only a seal that no longer seals" still requires a TC replacement.

Quick Reply: Thinkng of buying my first Audi