A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Thoughts on resale value

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on resale value

Hello All -

This is a sad day for me, the wife & I decided on having a 3rd child, so the Alpha6-27Tango needs to move on to a new home It's really tough for me to let go, but at the same time I'm ready to give the car to someone who can really enjoy it.

It's hard to believe, but I've owned the car for 10 years, and I'm down to maybe once a year that I take it off the stock software and go for a "spirited run" on the APR programs. Once the baby-mill spun up and the car became the default family car, it's tough for me to get away to really enjoy the extra ponies.

So with that said, it's time for her to move on... I included a few pics, and here are the basic stats. Any idea what a good asking price would be? I was thinking $6,000-$7,000. There's not a lot of data out there for what people are paying for modified A6's. I know a bone stock A6 in decent shape goes for about $5,000. I'm guessing someone would pay an extra $1-1.5K for the performance mods? I'd love to go back in time and only pay $1-1.5K for them

Who knows, guess we'll see! Let me know what you guys think it's worth, and I'll "officially" post it in the classified.

Key Stats
========
Mileage: 121,179
Engine: 2.7T
Trans: 5-speed Tip
Body/Paint: 8/10 (very few scuffs/scratch)
Interior: 8/10 (little to no wear in the rear, front is in pretty good shape)
Amenities: 9/10 Everything works! All the cup holders, electronics, etc work great.
Maintenance: Detailed records available, but important ones:

- 120K - Hazard/Turn Relay, Coolant Reservoir replaced
- 110K - Spark Plugs, air filter, cabin filter, Alternator, front-level CV, rear brakes
- 100K - All four O2 sensors, valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner gaskets, front brakes
- 90K - T-belt/water pump/tensioner

Mods: APR Stage II+ / 91oct / 100oct race / Security Lockout / Piggy DP's / APR Stainless cat-back Exhaust / Eibach Pro-Sport Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / H&R Sways / 18" RS6 Reps

I have maintenance records all the way back to 50K when it came off the bumper to bumper CPO warranty. Hoping to find the car a new good home! I'll probably take some pictures with better lighting before posting to the classifieds.

Thanks,
Attached Images      
Old 09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interior Pics...

Some pics of the back-seat
Attached Images      
Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default and finally some pics of the front seats and dash area

and finally some pics of the front seats and dash area
Attached Images     
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

If you really want an answer, not just conjecture, put it on ebay with a reserve that you can live with. I would set the reserve at $4000
Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Or list it for sale in the AW Classifieds but not here in the discussion forums.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya, the plan was to eventually put it on the classifieds. This was more intended to be a discussion piece to see what other A6 owner thought the "value" of the car was based on their experience and possibly their recent purchases (I assume some of the members are recent new owners, right?)

It's funny because I did some searching for comps on modded A6's last night, and noticed several posts similar to mine where members really flamed the guys asking questions about selling their car. I thought that was a little out of character being that most of the time people on AudiWorld and VWVortex, AudiZine, etc are so nice. Not saying you guys are flaming me, but it was funny to see a reply with a similar disinterest in discussing a car for sale.

Is there some unwritten forum etiquette that you don't ask questions about selling cars of a discussion forum? I could see maybe in a tech support forum, but this is just open discussions about the C5-A6 platform, right?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

The difference with your car is that it was well cared for and you can prove it. I think you can list it here, or even on cars.com for the highest price you can find on the same thing on cars.com plus $1.5K considering the care and mods. And don't discount it.

The reason is that if someone knows what you have, then price will not be a problem.

If you'd like to really nail a listing on cars.com and hold your price firm, then post photos of a carfax and an independent inspection report from Carchex; that's very rare. Also, when you do take photos to post, get them at sunset near a body of water or a park.

I've been there with kids. You're doing the right thing. Someday, you'll be back. And when you are, you'll appreciate it even more. Bon courage.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is rare for mods to bring a higher price.

Most people assume performance mods are associated with harder use (no matter how well the car is maintained).

Unfortunately the same goes for above and beyond normal maintenance. It should command a bigger bump in price, but rarely does.

Not trying to be a bummer, but (as they say) "It is what it is"!

Watch auto trader for a while and see what people are listing and selling cars for.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha6-27Tango(jeff)
Is there some unwritten forum etiquette that you don't ask questions about selling cars of a discussion forum? I could see maybe in a tech support forum, but this is just open discussions about the C5-A6 platform, right?
Since you asked...there are no prohibitions, written or otherwise, to posting questions about values or advice or idea sharing on how to sell a car in the discussion forums. However, some have used these types of detailed posts as a thinly veiled way to circumvent AW terms of use of no offers for sale in the forums. For those that wish to advertise their item for sale, the moderators will usually allow a short post pointing to a comprehensive listing in the classifieds.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Dittos

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since you asked...there are no prohibitions, written or otherwise, to posting questions about values or advice or idea sharing on how to sell a car in the discussion forums. However, some have used these types of detailed posts as a thinly veiled way to circumvent AW terms of use of no offers for sale in the forums. For those that wish to advertise their item for sale, the moderators will usually allow a short post pointing to a comprehensive listing in the classifieds.
This is the issue. Most of us abide by the rules and appreciate a forum that operates as intended. Your question might have been better received if you had asked the questions and referred us to another location to see the photos. I accept your intentions were genuine, but they just looked like someone ignoring the rules.

Audi does not have a reputation for high resale values. And will maintained cars with performance upgrades are almost never sold for their real worth. Sad but true. However, you will make someone very happy. Want to deliver that car to Denver? Just joking.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on resale value