A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing belt change problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt change problem

I am trying to replace my timing belt and water pump but have run into a MAJOR problem trying to remove the fan pulley assembly. One of the 6mm hex bolts appears to be stripped and I need it to come out in order to remove the assembly. Any suggestions on what is best way to remove this bolt? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default there are extractor tools or you can sharpen a 7mm

Originally Posted by knole68
I am trying to replace my timing belt and water pump but have run into a MAJOR problem trying to remove the fan pulley assembly. One of the 6mm hex bolts appears to be stripped and I need it to come out in order to remove the assembly. Any suggestions on what is best way to remove this bolt? Thanks in advance for any help.
allen head socket with a grinder wheel…get six sharp points (about 5-10 degrees, not more, maybe less, but you need an edge), then make sure your allen head bolts are clean down to the bottom of the socket, then drive your sharpened 7mm into the allen head down to the bottom of the well.

Then use a hammer-driven impact wrench to remove the bolt.
Replace the bolt with a new one! You might consider replacing all of them. If you look closely they might have a greenish tinge which is Audi's non-galvanic corrosion coating. If not, then use green loctite when you put it together. Green is IIRC the weakest anaerobic adhesive/sealer. Unless audi specifies a sealer for the bolts.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help, Is there anyplace I can find the exact bolts that are used for this bracket? I want to replace all 4 of them if I can but I cannot find the type/size listed anywhere. I live over 100 miles from the closest Audi/VW dealer so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help, Is there anyplace I can find the exact bolts that are used for this bracket? I want to replace all 4 of them if I can but I cannot find the type/size listed anywhere. I live over 100 miles from the closest Audi/VW dealer so any help would be appreciated.
Your best bet is a local tools/hardware (not mainstream but specialized) shop. Search for that or contact local mechanics and find out where such shop is.

As always, you can find part number for it and order it online.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

if you have a problem solving this the way described above, i would do it like this;
drill off the entire head of the bolt.remove the other bolts.now that the complete assembly is removed, you also have no more tension on the bolt.the remaining thread should be quit easy to remove therefore.you can use some good grippers to take on to the threaded piece sticking out and remove it like that.

suc6!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 100miles…ouch. OTOH, you're probably a ways from ANY dealer at that point.

Virtually any good hardware store will have a selection of metric socket head cap screws; they're generally hardened, probably way stronger than the stock bolts. What you want to be careful with is the aluminum these bolts are screwed into…it's relatively easy to strip out the internal threads in the block and then you're into heli-coil repairs. Use a loctite sealer or green loctite thread locker and torque the bolts appropriately. Also, the socket head caps crews may be taller than the OEM screws…YMMV. CHECK the clearance between the OEM screws and the pulley. The ones for the bracket don't matter.

I HIGHLY recommend trying the hand impact tool. You should have one in your toolbox anyway.

I would simply order them from ECStuning.com; the screws are $0.99 apiece. Or call the audi dealer with the p/n N90827702, chances are they have them in stock and will mail them to you for a fee or order them online.

Audi C5 S6 Quattro 4.2 Engine Cooling Water Pump - N90827702 - torx screw - Priced Each - ES#470900
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 06-29-2015 at 05:20 AM.