A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing Belt Kit

Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Kit

Found a timing belt package. It comes with a performance timing belt and all seals including a water pump.

Here is a pic and the list and link
Please let me know if its all good. Good parts, brand names, and comes with everything and is right price...

Thank you for your time.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks like a great kit. But need to know if its all k ok off brands or what.. seemed like a great deal so was just a little worried. Buying off Internet u could get anything. .. please help
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's a Gates belt. Gates isn't a generic brand. I used gates and Victor Reinz.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Juschiln19
It looks like a great kit. But need to know if its all k ok off brands or what.. seemed like a great deal so was just a little worried. Buying off Internet u could get anything. .. please help
How does it differ from pretty well all the other non-OEM kits? Blauparts sells a 'racing' kit for under $360:

Audi A6 Timing Belt - Audi A6 Timing Belt Kit - A6 Race Belt 2.7

If you actually want genuine OEM parts, get them from here: genuinevwaudiparts.com

Also, I assume this is all part of your 800+hp build thread...
Old 10-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by deviantirish
It's a Gates belt. Gates isn't a generic brand. I used gates and Victor Reinz.
Ok. Great. Thanks For The Advice....
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
How does it differ from pretty well all the other non-OEM kits? Blauparts sells a 'racing' kit for under $360:

Audi A6 Timing Belt - Audi A6 Timing Belt Kit - A6 Race Belt 2.7

If you actually want genuine OEM parts, get them from here: genuinevwaudiparts.com

Also, I assume this is all part of your 800+hp build thread...
Thanks
I like the the one in the link. . And it's cheaper. Sweet.

yeah I guess I could have put it on that tread but I didn't think of the timing job as a performance component I only was looking at the stronger timing belt because if the belt breaks under normal ware or mileage it's pretty much. U just screwed ur wallet. So I Figured get the stronger one just for asurance. But yeah it in the same car.
Thanks again

Last edited by Juschiln19; 10-31-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the original TB in my 2.7 with a Gates "racing" belt, and a combination of slightly wider belt with an improperly-machined idler pulley allowed the belt to walk enough that it cut in to the coolant manifold. I also found the other idler pulley lost both bearing covers, one of which had been cut through by the misaligned idler.

Use Audi components. Only reason I'm not is I received the replacement parts (full kit, basically) for free, and figured I may as well use them, but check them soon..."trust, but verify".

Everything used last time and this time was INI/NTN, but the suppliers were obviously very different. The newer parts have tighter tolerances, shouldn't wobble like the older version, and with a regular belt you should be fine.

Something I didn't do, but wish I had, was inspect the old belt, pulleys, coolant manifold, and timing belt covers at the first change...but I didn't do the work the first time around, only the second. It's honestly really easy, just takes some time. Be sure to replace the cam cover seals *and* all the cam chain tensioner seals. They don't seem to last very long. Some days I swear this engine was somebody's Rube Goldberg project.

-Sean