A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Which Timing belt kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Timing belt kit?

I have a 2000 A6 2.7t with an APR stage 1 tune. My daily driver with 150 K miles on her, previous owner was meticulous on up keep and had the timing belt done @ 100K miles. I was considering rebuilding the engine, but I am on somewhat of a budget. IF compression test yield consistent results and by looking at the spark plugs for normal wear, I will opt out of a rebuild and just do the following repairs. My car runs amazing, plenty of power, and looks nice. Recently got a P0741 code so here I go.

I'm just gearing up to pull my engine and replace the torque converter. I also will be rebuilding my stock turbos, O2 sensor, Camshaft timing pads, timing belt, thermostat, Bank 2 o2 sensors and water pump, oh yea, front CV shafts will be replaced due to clicking.

I have a few questions;

1) Which timing belt kit is best? I heard that the gates racing belt is much stronger and will last longer. I'm looking at the kit on ECS Tuning that runs for about 359$.

2) Camshaft timing chains that run between camshafts and the tensioner. I'm considering replacing mine since I have 150K on the engine. The genuine Audi chains are a whopping 116$ and there are 3 other brands on ECS Tuning's website between 26$ and 35$. Considering the lower priced if better than what I have in the car already with 150K miles.

I almost forgot, how do you replace the timing chain tensioner pads? I hope to just purchase the pads and replace them. I have not found a thread on this "how to" yet.

3) CV shafts from ECS Tuning. Are they decent CV joints & a good alternative to the expensive OEM CV joints? I'm also wondering how the CV joints on ECS Tuning compare to the Autozone CV joints that go for 69 each with a life time guarantee, but, I know that they are regrinds and they pretty much suck.

4) I assume I will need to get new valve cover gasket kits also, correct?

I"ll be getting my engine stand and hoist back from a friend tomorrow. Tomorrow is the start of this project, beginning with a compression test.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Osmosis; 09-15-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The belt is less an issue than the water pump. ECS should be fine.

There are diy's on tensioner pads. Google.

I would call ECS and ask them about chains. Cheaper ones might be fine. I personally would not bother at 150k.

You will need valve cover gasket set.

If boots are bad, just do boots. Why do joints?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CV joints are bad, clicking very noticeable when turning. I was going to use Raxels, but @ 249 per side vs 70 per side, I will just go with the budget brand. The project is becoming expensive.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Osmosis
The project is becoming expensive.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Audi ownership! Sorry just being a smartass. I would skip the Gates belt. Continental or Dayco will be just fine. As stated previously the belt doesn't really wear out. It's the water pump and rollers that fail which in turn causes belt failure. If you don't have timing chain issues I wouldn't change those either. Replacing the pads is a good idea.