A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing Belt replacement, camshaft sprocket wings are off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Generally, a locked up engine in those circumstances means that the pistons are hitting an obstruction, like a valve or 10.
Yeah I figured that.. What do I need to do to get the timing back in place..?
Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did mark the cam sprockets with sharpie and mark the camshaft back plastic cover, so I should be able to just rotate them to realign back to where they were, then take off the sprocket so that the wings line up and then reinstall the sprockets and the belt, rotate it over and it should be good.. correct?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by KingHamer
Yeah I figured that.. What do I need to do to get the timing back in place..?
Without knowing what's the real issue, I would probably remove all the camshafts (allow the valves to close), put the crank to TDC (#5 if a V8, the appropriate piston if a V6) and pin it with the tool, then reinstall the camshafts to the proper timing. The sprockets don't need to be removed, just loosened on their respective taper.

Then redo the timing job with the camshaft lock bar.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope. You've already turned the crankshaft against something so who knows where you are, timing-wise.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Nope. You've already turned the crankshaft against something so who knows where you are, timing-wise.
I think I'm okay. Today I got the drivers side camshaft into place, and got the crank to TDC. Then I got the passenger crank to line up and got the locking bar into place, rotated everything with the timing belt on about 15 rotations for good measure. I got everything back on except the bipipes and diverter valves. Tomorrow ill put them on and start the car...

If my timing is off, is it okay to start the car? Or will it all just blow up..
Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I'm okay. Today I got the drivers side camshaft into place, and got the crank to TDC. Then I got the passenger crank to line up and got the locking bar into place, rotated everything with the timing belt on about 15 rotations for good measure. I got everything back on except the bipipes and diverter valves. Tomorrow ill put them on and start the car...

If my timing is off, is it okay to start the car? Or will it all just blow up..
No. If your timing is off pistons will bend valves.

However, since you've rotated the crank that many times without problems it's likely you're ok.
You might want to run a compression test before you start it. No compression on one or more cylinders is an indication of bent valves. Then you'd have to borescope it or pull the heads to find the bent one(s) (I'd scope the cylinder with no compression).
Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
No. If your timing is off pistons will bend valves.
After I put everything back together, I started it up, sounded great! In fact my misfire from before went away..? Must have just been an uncleared code as I cleared the codes before I started it.

But I still have an extreme coolant leak, looks like its coming from the thermostat, leaks out when I add water to the reservoir, not even when its started.... I'm gonna take it apart today and look into it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cracked thermostat housing

I figured it out, the plastic thermostat housing is cracked! I didn't see it when I took it apart before..

New question: I plan to just buy an upgraded aluminum housing from the pre 2001. Any recommendations on where to get one? I was thinking here: Thermostat Housing, Aluminum (OEM) for 2.7T, 2.8L - JH Motorsports Inc. - -- JHM. Shifting you to

Question is, this is for the S4/RS4. Will this fit on my A6? Looks the same.. but looks are deceiving

**EDIT**
Found one at EuropaParts! Thanks guys.

Last edited by KingHamer; 10-20-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I figured it out, the plastic thermostat housing is cracked! I didn't see it when I took it apart before..

New question: I plan to just buy an upgraded aluminum housing from the pre 2001. Any recommendations on where to get one? I was thinking here: Thermostat Housing, Aluminum (OEM) for 2.7T, 2.8L - JH Motorsports Inc. - -- JHM. Shifting you to

Question is, this is for the S4/RS4. Will this fit on my A6? Looks the same.. but looks are deceiving

**EDIT**
Found one at EuropaParts! Thanks guys.
Ebay or junk yard. Pre 2000 VW passat 2.8L will have one. Thats where I got mine from.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by deviantirish
Ebay or junk yard. Pre 2000 VW passat 2.8L will have one. Thats where I got mine from.
shoot.. already purchased one. I appreciate that though! I will remember that for the future.