A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsrob
By far my favorite tires I've ever had on my car (not the Audi) were my Falken Azenis RT-615K... Not sure if anyone has ever run these on the A6 but I loved them on my previous car. The only downside (aside from only being good in the dry or medium wet) was the low treadwear rating which wore quickly. Talk about sticky though. Never could break them lose around turns. I thought the car would probably flip before I slid.
The Azenis is a great tire, although I don't think I'd really call them an all-season. I usually recommend Nokian WR-G2 or WR-G3 all-weather to people looking to run an "all-season" as their winter tire. Still has the proper compounds so it doesn't harden up in temps below 7C like most all-seasons and the mountain snowflake symbol giving it a winter rating to conform to highway codes, but doesn't have the really aggressive tread blocks of a true studless snow and ice tire plus it has all-season tread life. It's what I run for a winter tire as Vancouver is usually more cool and rainy than cold w/ snow and ice.

That said, I wouldn't run them as all-seasons for 12month use. Nokian claims you can but when I tried that on my old B3 Passat the tires wore down very quickly and they still felt like winter compounds in the summer heat. Obviously an A6, regardless of which specific variant it is , weighs a lot more than a B3 Passat so the tires would wear that much faster. I'm using WR-G3's in 235/45 17 on my S6 this year and have been very happy with them so far. Been great in the one small snowfall we've gotten and, more importantly, been amazing in the rain/drizzle/fog @ 4C - 7C that the PNW typically gets as "winter". An additional bonus is since I will only run them from Dec to March or April I fully expect to get a good 3 or 4 seasons out of them.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 01-29-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd second the Continental DW tires. I am in snow and use the DWS and they are great, other than some alignment issue I have with the car. Everyone I know who uses these tires loves them. I'm normally not a fan of the continentals, but this model is great.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Cool….
Old 01-30-2014, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when i got the caR this past DEC came with michelin pilot sport plus. They run really well. Now i am getting some after market wheels and i wanted to see what other owners are using. I am gonna stick to what i have so far and go with the pilot sport again and keep the factories as my back up set. Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-30-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with snow out of the picture, you dont need all-seasons, to start with.

I'll throw in an outstanding, but little known tire. I have run these on the street and on several tracks. They are - all things in - superb.

BFG g-force sport comp-2 (or somethign like that). BFG's top summer ultra-high performance tire. I have them on my (real) S6, and on my Porsche street car.

Fairly cheap.

but if you really want all-seasons, that's a different question. Also figure out what car oyu have - different sizes, different characteristics, different tire options.

Grant
Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mahumujug
So when i got the caR this past DEC came with michelin pilot sport plus. They run really well. Now i am getting some after market wheels and i wanted to see what other owners are using. I am gonna stick to what i have so far and go with the pilot sport again and keep the factories as my back up set. Thanks for the feedback

Summer tire - michelin pilot super sport.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
There's good and then good value…I like the Continental DW tires and they make an all season DWS.
Check tire rack.
Continental DWS all the way if you see snow in your area. Running them on both cars. For the price the grip in dry wet and snow is awesome. Check the ratings on Tirerack. Road hazard and 50K warrantee.

Had a set of Bridgestones pole postions or something before... Great in dry, not so great in wet, crap in snow. As the weather cooled down the grip went away. Got around 30K out of them and they were almost twice the price of the contis! Not sure where you are but if it gets cold steer clear.

Hope that helps

Chees
Massboykie
Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Pilot Sport is an excellent tire. Stick with them if you wallet allows you to.