A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Trailer hitch for A6 C5 Quattro Avant

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch for A6 C5 Quattro Avant

Greetings everyone,

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything on the topic of trailer hitches.
I'm thinking of putting a trailer hitch on my A6 Quattro Avant in order to be able to carry a bike rack (I'm tired of the roof rack and its impact on gas mileage) and maybe a light utility trailer every now and then when I need to go to the dump (got rid of my little truck that was doing nothing else but going to the dump two or three times a year).
Has anybody added a trailer hitch before and have some recommendations on a brand and how easy/complicated the job is?

Thanks for any input you have.

Chris
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default C5 Avant trailer hitch

Originally Posted by campagnolo_1
Greetings everyone,

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything on the topic of trailer hitches.
I'm thinking of putting a trailer hitch on my A6 Quattro Avant in order to be able to carry a bike rack (I'm tired of the roof rack and its impact on gas mileage) and maybe a light utility trailer every now and then when I need to go to the dump (got rid of my little truck that was doing nothing else but going to the dump two or three times a year).
Has anybody added a trailer hitch before and have some recommendations on a brand and how easy/complicated the job is?

Chris
Try these folks. http://www.eurohitches.com/audi-hitches-c-2.html
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Huskerbob,

thanks for the link. I checked it out, but over $700 just for the hitch seems a bit pricy! I've been looking around some, and there is one hitch that always pops up which is made by Curt. But looking at the hitch, I get the feeling that you need to cut the bumper cover in order to make that thing work. And since I just got a brand new bumper cover, I really don't want to cut into it.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default trailer hitch installation

Huskerbob,

thanks for the link. I checked it out, but over $700 just for the hitch seems a bit pricy! I've been looking around some, and there is one hitch that always pops up which is made by Curt. But looking at the hitch, I get the feeling that you need to cut the bumper cover in order to make that thing work. And since I just got a brand new bumper cover, I really don't want to cut into it.

Cheers,

Chris
According to Curt install instructions you don't have to cut the bumper cover. https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._11166_INS.PDF

Just remove it, install the hitch and then re-install the cover. $245 seems reasonable and 90 minutes to install. What's not to like? Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Greetings everyone,

Chris
I have a 99 a6 as well. We installed this hitch and use if for both bike racks and towing a tent trailer. Pretty easy install, no major bumper work, etc. Just drilling holes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=19995669

Been using it for a few year now... no issues! If towing a lot I'd install a transmission cooler.

Bruce
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiBruceH
I have a 99 a6 as well. We installed this hitch and use if for both bike racks and towing a tent trailer. Pretty easy install, no major bumper work, etc. Just drilling holes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=19995669

Been using it for a few year now... no issues! If towing a lot I'd install a transmission cooler.

Bruce
Bruce,

thank you for the feedback. I guess I'm going with the Curt hitch. What wiring harness did you use?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wiring harness used?

I know this is an old thread but hope someone sees this and can answer my Question.. I just picked up the CURT Hitch for my 99 A6 Avant and now need the wiring harness.. Which one did you end up using.

Thank you
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems like this would work.

Tow Ready Wiring for Audi A6 2004 - 119178KIT
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you.. Just ordered it
Will post when I install it and let everyone know how it works
Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finished installing the CURT Hitch and etrailer wiring harness 119178 kit
Very simple harness to install and works great..
Just to let you know I ran the harness through the vent behind the driver side bumper cover.