A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Fluid Charges according to Consumer Reports

Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
"The Transmission Flush: If you follow the recommended maintenance intervals, doing a scheduled flush is fine. But don't start doing flushes if you've ignored the intervals. The grime and gunk that collects in unchanged fluid becomes the friction material in an aging clutch pack. Replacing the fluid may cause the transmission to fail"

I believe this has been disproved by many. I also wonder why the grime and gunk that becomes friction material for the aging clutch pack doesn't also become friction material where you don't particularly want friction material?

I have seen many supposed facts quoted in Consumer Reports that were just wrong. They do a lot of good but they just cannot be experts in everything.
I know right?? This is the biggest myth ever, and is still being spread all over. Like friction material in the fluid can somehow magically make clutches still work normally lol. Give me a break. The fluids job is to try and keep debris off the clutch packs and keep the faces clean for smooth consistent shifts.If thats all that was seriously keeping the transmission barley working, it didnt have long to live anyway.

I would do a filter and pan drop every 40k miles or so. And Valvoline Maxlife ATF works very well in these. Its full synthetic also. The factory fluid really is not full synthetic and has been surpassed by many import atf's since the fluid spec is from the early 90's. The original fluid was and is nothing more than dexron III with no red dye, and a few long life additives.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and changed the fluid and filter yesterday. At 22,000 miles fluid was dark amber. But not black. Some minimal dark sediment on the bottom of the pan. No metal "hairs" at all on magnets. Also cracked open the filter. Nothing in there. Completely clean.
I have used Pentosin ATF1 for last 3 changes. It's a bit more expensive than the Vaico fluid ECS supplies with their kit. But felt it was worth keeping the fluid consistent.
Refill took just about 6 liters. I changed out the drain plugs this time as well.
Should be good for another 30k....we hope.
Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you changed the fluid, did you just replace the amount you got out, or did you do the whole thing with running it while filling? I have to admit that I'm queasy running the car on jackstands, though I suppose its not really any different than being under the car on jackstands--but I never have all wheels in the air then.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rocketman4321
When you changed the fluid, did you just replace the amount you got out, or did you do the whole thing with running it while filling? I have to admit that I'm queasy running the car on jackstands, though I suppose its not really any different than being under the car on jackstands--but I never have all wheels in the air then.
I did it "by the book".. same way I have done previous 3 changes, All 4 wheels off the ground. drain, remove pan, clean pan & magnets , install new filter. Replace pan. Pump in fluid until it begins to drip. Start engine. Continue filling until drip again . With engine running shift into each gear and hold for ~10 seconds. Brake on - Wheels not spinning. Add more fluid until drips again. ZF procedure calls for use of VAGCOM to monitor temperature before replacing fill plug and shutting off engine. I use a laser thermometer - close enough. I've read some use the measure & replace method. But this is not the procedure ZF recommends. How do you know the level was correct to begin with? The ZF procedure is online if you search. It's real easy.
Good luck.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks--good point about it's just the engine running. How much fluid did you use? Do the kits generally have enough?
Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks--good point about it's just the engine running. How much fluid did you use? Do the kits generally have enough?
They never seem to take more than 5 1/2 to 6 quarts
Old 02-01-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

It took just under 6 liters to refill. Pentosin is available in a 5 liter jug that makes it real easy. And less messy than fussing with individual bottles. . If you have a Harbor Freight nearby buy one of their fluid transfer pumps. They're about $7, and pump high volume. I've used it for last two changes. Works well. I believe the ECS Tuning Kit comes with 6 liters. Not sure of others. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nickcarguy
I'm about to do a transmission fluid and filter change on my '00 A6 Avant at 158,000miles. Then I read this on Page 55 of the March 2016 issue of Consumers Report , just delivered. Quote:

"The Transmission Flush: If you follow the recommended maintenance intervals, doing a scheduled flush is fine. But don't start doing flushes if you've ignored the intervals. The grime and gunk that collects in unchanged fluid becomes the friction material in an aging clutch pack. Replacing the fluid may cause the transmission to fail"

Yikes.
I guess the key is they qualify their statement by saying a fluid change is only detrimental if you've previously ignored fluid changes.
But this still goes against everything I have read from experts on the topic. I.e. Kansas City TDI (CoolAir VW) who has always been a big proponent of fluid changes.
I guess the debate continues..
First DON'T do a power flush of any kind.
Proper fluid replacement never hurts.

This myth comes from people who "notice" a little problem (or more) and them change the fluid and when the transmission dies they blame the fluid change instead of the real problem.