A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Trying to remove cylinder head - how to unbolt turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trying to remove cylinder head - how to unbolt turbo?

Hi guys, as you probably know, I've been working on getting my mom's 2.7T back on the road after a timing belt change. I got a new cylinder head (reman) on Thursday and tried to get it on today.

I have the upper intake off, water line disconnected, and I started trying to disconnect the exhaust manifold. Well, I couldn't figure it out, so I went online and found that there are 3 bolts that bolt the manifold to the turbocharger, and that you need to undo those and remove the manifold with the head all at once.

Well, I finally found the three bolts, I think. I removed the heat shield in the back of the engine, above the turbo, or I should say that I removed the bolts holding it down. I can move the shield around quite a bit, but I CANNOT get it out of the cavity to expose the bolts. I think that I could get it out if I could remove the valve just above it, connected to the cylinder head, but I can't get to the bolts for that bracket because the heat shield is in the way of those bolts also.

Trying to weasel my way around with 8mm allen wrenches, I think I could potentially remove 2 of the 3 bolts. Only, they are locked tight. I got a long throw 8 mm allen wrench on one bolt, and couldn't budge the bolt. I put an 8 mmm box wrench over the allen wrench, put the allen back into the bolt, and tried to turn using a steal pipe - and it won't budge.

Anyone have any advise on how to get these out? Removal of the heat shield would make a big difference I think, but even then the bolts would be seized. I sprayed with PB and will let it sit overnight...hopefully that helps. Not sure if there's a method for any of this other than elbow grease.

Also, I know that with O2 sensors, this often happens. Sometimes starting the car and heating it up a little will allow the sensore to break free - but this is not an option for me, since I have everything apart.

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

engine pull
Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I was hoping that I could do this without pulling the engine. I just have these 3 last bolts it looks like and I can pull this bugger out...if the heat shield wasn't there, I'd think that these bolts wouldn't be a problem at all ...I can see two of them clearly when I pull it back. I removed the SAI pump and I have a straight shot to one bolt, and almost a straight shot to another...the third bolt looks like it would be straight if the heat shield was gone...

Has anyone on here changed the head without removing the engine? It just seems like I'm so close with the engine in place...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pull the heat shield (it will get bent up during removal and a some people just leave them off afterwards), soak with PB or similiar, apply heat if possible. Try putting a allen wrench in the bolt and hit it with a hammer to break it free of any corrosion in the threads. Extra hands will be a big help with this step.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Angrywasp- Thanks for the reply. I bent the hell outta the head shield and could NOT get it out, but I did get it to bend enough out of the way to remove the three bolts, which were still a PITA.

The bolt closest to the engine block is angled in such a way that it was difficult to get a socket hex on the thing without hitting the water pipe. It took me hours to get the shield in a position to get to the bolts, and then finally get the bolts free. Also - a note for the future searchers - I should have known, but you CANNOT unbolt the two bolts to the heat shield and pull the thing out. The shield goes down a ways, and the O2 sensor goes through the shield, so you have to take that out to remove the shield also.

Getting them off was a good feeling. I can see how pulling the engine would make this much easier - but I don't have a lift, so I'm glad I could do it this way. I almost think the turbos are changeable at this point, but I had to remove the entire head and everything around it to get here - so it wouldn't make sense to do if the turbos were the only thing in the way. Even now, it'd definately be a real PITA.

Anyway, I got it all apart, felt great, was geared up to start fixing things and getting it back together, grabbed my reman'd head and pulled out the cams to put the tensioner and chain on them, and realized - THEY SENT ME THE WRONG HEAD!! I got the passenger side and need the driver's side. It's been one thing after the next for me these last couple weeks. Haha.

Looks like I'll be doing more nights and weekends....glad I've had so much help on the board. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
Angrywasp- Thanks for the reply. I bent the hell outta the head shield and could NOT get it out, but I did get it to bend enough out of the way to remove the three bolts, which were still a PITA.

The bolt closest to the engine block is angled in such a way that it was difficult to get a socket hex on the thing without hitting the water pipe. It took me hours to get the shield in a position to get to the bolts, and then finally get the bolts free. Also - a note for the future searchers - I should have known, but you CANNOT unbolt the two bolts to the heat shield and pull the thing out. The shield goes down a ways, and the O2 sensor goes through the shield, so you have to take that out to remove the shield also.

Getting them off was a good feeling. I can see how pulling the engine would make this much easier - but I don't have a lift, so I'm glad I could do it this way. I almost think the turbos are changeable at this point, but I had to remove the entire head and everything around it to get here - so it wouldn't make sense to do if the turbos were the only thing in the way. Even now, it'd definately be a real PITA.

Anyway, I got it all apart, felt great, was geared up to start fixing things and getting it back together, grabbed my reman'd head and pulled out the cams to put the tensioner and chain on them, and realized - THEY SENT ME THE WRONG HEAD!! I got the passenger side and need the driver's side. It's been one thing after the next for me these last couple weeks. Haha.

Looks like I'll be doing more nights and weekends....glad I've had so much help on the board. Thanks.
Hey, did you have any luck removing the heads without pulling the engine? I'm in the same boat as you--timing was off, need to pull the heads, but I don't have an engine hoist and would prefer to just yank the heads out from the car. Any tips?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

haha - I haven't been to the forum for a long while, saw the title of this thread, and thought..."I've been there".

Then I realized it was my thread! Good times.

Anyway, there are three internal hex bolts that bolt the exhaust to the top of the turbo. You can get at them with extensions and a socket and once you remove those you can lift the head out with the exhaust manifold attached. My advice on the three bolts on top off the turbo, however, is that you go get some Irwin bolt extractors, hammer them on (put them on the socket extension and hammer the extensions) and then break them free with those on the outside. These bolts seize from the heat and if you use the internal hex, it may strip. I've just opted to go right for the extractors...it damages the outside, but the inside of the head is fine and you can tighten it/reuse the bolts this way. If you try the internal hex, then make sure you hammer it in tight too.

It's not that hard. Much harder to remove the cams and everything up to that point. Also, make sure you use the special tool for the long bolts that hold the head to the block - it is NOT a torx bit on most of these cars. I was so afraid of stripping one of those bolts, don't even wanna know how that would get fixed.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The head bolt tool is a Polydrive correct?