A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Turbos Going Bad? Strange Situation.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos Going Bad? Strange Situation.

Hi all, I have an '01 Audi Allroad 2.7T 6MT. When I get on the gas, usually 2nd-6th gear hard, there will be this whining and then another sound that I *guess* could be described as drilling, but I wouldn't call it that myself. It usually (95% of the time I think) comes right after the turbos spool up (which is a whisssss sound). I can upload a video of the sound and pics of the turbos if need be later. Anyways, the sound seems to be dependent on how hard I push the throttle--when I push it hard, in the middle portion of the pedal the sound appears and then disappears after the car accelerates slightly (5-10 seconds). I can replicate this in gears 2-6 at any RPM (even 6th gear going 10 MPH) but it's most evident when I'm pushing up a hill in a lower gear.

I'm scared that it's the turbos but it seems strange that the sound disappears as I push the car harder past the point where it starts making noise. It also doesn't appear when I lightly accelerate, even if I keep accelerating continuously as long as it's not mashing on the pedal.

New clutch and flywheel, new motor even (I screwed the old one up by dropping an allen key into the spark plug hole, yes I am that stupid). But the sound was the same before and after the new motor.

I had my tech check the turbo when the motor was out. There was slight side to side shaft play but literally zero up and down play and nothing was clanking or loose. He said they looked fine, and he specializes in this motor. I'm asking the forum because he's closed for the weekend and I'm very anxious about the situation...

2 more things that are relevant:

When I bought the car the old owner (a shop mechanic) had put on a set of aftermarket downpipes/cats that gave the same performance but are cheaper than OEM ones, because the old ones died for some reason unknown to me.
Also, the sound seems to be coming from the right side of the car, and that side is missing the turbo heat shield because of the strange shape of the aftermarket cats.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I just replaced a throttle body boot so it is still on my mind. Any chance it is cracked or torn? Mine was not easily seen.