A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Understanding differences between Audi A6 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Understanding differences between Audi A6 clusters and the compatibility issues

Disclaimer. The information on this post is for informational purposes only.
This post and all of the information it contains are provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.
The wiring information was taken from "Bentley Publishers CD and Hardcover copy", there may be omissions or inaccuracies in information contained in this post. Before making any decision or taking any action based on the information contained in this Post, you should double/triple check information regards to the vehicle you service.
If you found that the information is inaccurate and you have found the solution post it up and I will update the post.

The photo below shows all 3 instrument clusters from Audi A6 C5 Series from 1998 to 2005 with Full size Center LCD,

Audi Allroad had some additional difference, some had thicker needle pointers based on engine

Here is the back of the instrument clusters.

You can see the difference between all the clusters .

Cluster 1
was installed in 1998 and 1999 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had analog clock
Cluster 2 was installed in 2000 to 2003 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had digital clock comparing to cluster 1
Cluster 3 was installed in 2003 to 2005 Audi A6/Allroad from 2001 models, the most visible difference it had rings added comparing to cluster 2

NOW COMPATIBILITY
Legend
  • * Cluster 1 is 1998-1999 (no immobilizer, no Can-Bus)
  • * Cluster 2 is 2000-2003 (no immobilizer in 2000 model, Immobilizer was added in 2001, Can-Bus was introduced in 2000+ models)
  • * Cluster 3 is 2003 to 2005 (had immobilizer and Can-Bus) Audi Allroads from 2001 to 2005 had Cluster 3

Cluster 2, and cluster 3 can fit directly into cluster 1, except the middle new plug needs to be installed and rewire connection.,
Cluster 3 can be installed into cluster 2 however it all depends if your car came with immobilizer.If your car came without immobilizer,
and you installed cluster that has immobilizer you will have little car key light ON on the tachometer , check the picture below.

This can not be disable by software, only solution is to cover with black electrical tape the opening for immobilizer light, only you will hear beeps for couple seconds when starting the vehicle.
If your car came with immobilizer , and you want to install another instrument cluster with immobilizer you need VAGCOM software from Ross Tech to program immobilizer to your car or you can have your Audi Dealer perform the service for you.
WARNING for those with immobilizer !!!
Do not start the car when you remove the cluster or when you install new one if it wasn't program to your car yet, if that happens your vehicle will start and shut down under 5 seconds and immobilizer will activate , at that point it will not allow you to start the car and you will have to tow your car to Audi Dealer to have them reset the immobilizer with their device

How do I know if I do or don't have immobilizer ?

ABS & Brake lights + AirBag Light on

Can you install color LCD into C5 Cluster

Here are wiring pinouts for Audi A6 1998, 1999 and 2000+ clusters
Green highlighted is what matches between the cluster with analog clock and cluster with digital clock
The remaining must be rewired , except of the CANBUS which is not present in clusters with analog clock you might run to some problems

Can I install Audi A4, S4, RS4 cluster into Audi A6 ?

Yes you can install cluster from B5 series A4/S4/Rs4 into A6 , however you will run to problems with compatibility .

1) Audi A4/S4/RS4 have different fuel tank size than A6, so your fuel gauge will not be accurate ,
2) Audi A4/S4/RS4 dimmer is control by the **** on cluster, Audi A6 is control by a dimmer switch near headlight , so you will need to remember to control dimming from two switches
3) Software compatibility , each cluster are preloaded with different software versions, so depends on the version one or more gauges (tachometer or speedometer) will not function properly or not at all.
Best recommendation is to stay with the same cluster from the same model series .

Will cluster from 2000+ A6, Allroad, S6 with digital clock work in 1998, 1999 Audi A6 C5 Series ? *updated*

I have build a wiring conversion for 1998/1999 A6 and now I can test every cluster in my 1999 C5 A6 with analog clock. Here is what I have find out
All clusters from C5 /4B series models will partially work in 98/99 gauges like Speedometer, battery, fuel , and coolant temp will function after you do full wiring conversion
Tachometer will function from cluster year 2000 and 2001, clusters from 2002-2005 I got only certain clusters working that all depends on the version of the image the cluster is loaded with.
What will not function is oil temp gauge , on 2000+ Audi A6/S6/Allroad they have integrated oil level and oil temp into one unit and this sensor is mounted into oil pan, so this sensor has two functions , and it comes under one wire into the cluster, and the cluster digest the signal for oil level and temp
on 98 and 99 models it is all separate only oil temp is measured and shown on oil temp gauge , there is only one pin wire and only one function which cluster with digital clock do not understand the signal
oil Sensor warning light will be showing on the center LCD screen at all times, (I have no solution for this one, other then retrofit pan and oil sensor from 00+ vehicle and run new wires to cluster)
Second issue is the brake pad wear signal , digital clock cluster doesn't understand this signal only solution is to ground the wire at the cluster.
Check engine light will not work . 2000+ have CANBUS system which is used to communicate with different modules in the car like ECM ,
1998, 1999 don't have CANBUS , and there is no other way around then change wiring and modules and might be expensive to retrofit. (I didn't found solution for this one, I know kufatec use to or still is selling CANBUS module for instrument cluster in Europe, that can digest signal for check engine light and the tachometer signal )

I have 2001-2005 Audi A6/Allorad/S6 with immobilizer , which cluster I can use and is it plug & play ?

If you have Audi A6/Allroad/S6 with immobilizer you can replace with another cluster that has immobilizer from 2001-2005 however it is not plug and play right away .
In order to replace the cluster , you need to have SKC code (5 digit code) from both your original Cluster and your replacement.
And you need to program your keys to new replacement cluster.
here is more information about immobilizers
Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki
Audi A6 uses Immobilizer 3 similar to Audi TT, and Vw Jetta/Golf MkIV
Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki

If you have questions please post them here and I will answer them to best of my ability.

Last edited by audifirst; 11-27-2016 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yhoni (12-29-2020)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one correction to year range. I have 2001 allroad with original cluster and it has immobilizer+silver rings around bezels.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thejulex
one correction to year range. I have 2001 allroad with original cluster and it has immobilizer+silver rings around bezels.
Thanks I will update that
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, very neat, thanks, for the info!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

great post... your year ranges overlap for cluster 2 though... does that mean that some 2003 models came with the rings and some did not? I thought that all 2003's came with the rings, which means the range for cluster 2 should stop at 2002...
Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The year changes are harder , some reported didn't have rings in their 2003 and other had them, for the sake I didn't included, only allroads from 2001 had the rings
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great post Audifirst. Could you post the VCDS steps to reprogramming the immobilizer. I have a new/used cluster sitting on the bench. Been to chicken to try the swap. Nearest Audi dealer is 90 miles away if I screw it up. New cluster is from an 03 A6-has silver ring. Old cluster from an 04 with silver ring.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ChrisRoser
Great post Audifirst. Could you post the VCDS steps to reprogramming the immobilizer. I have a new/used cluster sitting on the bench. Been to chicken to try the swap. Nearest Audi dealer is 90 miles away if I screw it up. New cluster is from an 03 A6-has silver ring. Old cluster from an 04 with silver ring.
I would check ross-tech site for more information and procedures it will give you idea what is involved
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...-swapping.html
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ching_(Cluster)
Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audifirst
The year changes are harder , some reported didn't have rings in their 2003 and other had them, for the sake I didn't included, only allroads from 2001 had the rings
They probably just used whatever was leftover in their parts bin when making the early 2003s.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 02 Avant had the silver rings and looks like #3, pretty sure it is original since PO's paper work history never mentioned cluster replacement.

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A6 clusters and the compatibility issues