A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Understanding differences between Audi A6 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lcd from my 1998 a8 wouldn't work in my 2001 allroad then?

So I guess for these differences below, that the lcd from my 1998 a8 wouldn't work in my 2001 allroad then?

Originally Posted by audifirst
The photo below shows all 3 instrument clusters from 1998 to 2005 with Full size LCD,

Audi Allroad had some additional difference, some had thicker needle pointers based on engine

Here is the back of the instrument clusters.

You can see the difference between all the clusters .

Cluster 1
was installed in 1998 and 1999 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had analog clock
Cluster 2 was installed in 2000 to 2003 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had digital clock comparing to cluster 1
Cluster 3 was installed in 2003 to 2005 Audi A6/Allroad from 2001 models, the most visible difference it had rings added comparing to cluster 2

NOW COMPATIBILITY
Legend
  • * Cluster 1 is 1998-1999 (no immobilizer, no Can-Bus)
  • * Cluster 2 is 2000-2003 (no immobilizer in 2000 model, Immobilizer was added in 2001, Can-Bus was introduced in 2000+ models)
  • * Cluster 3 is 2003 to 2005 (had immobilizer and Can-Bus) Audi Allroads from 2001 to 2005 had Cluster 3

Cluster 2, and cluster 3 can fit directly into cluster 1, except the middle new plug needs to be installed and rewire connection.,
Cluster 3 can be installed into cluster 2 however it all depends if your car came with immobilizer.If your car came without immobilizer,
and you installed cluster that has immobilizer you will have little car key light ON on the tachometer , check the picture below.

This can not be disable by software, only solution is to cover with black electrical tape the opening for immobilizer light, only you will hear beeps for couple seconds when starting the vehicle.
If your car came with immobilizer , and you want to install another instrument cluster with immobilizer you need VAGCOM software from Ross Tech to program immobilizer to your car or you can have your Audi Dealer perform the service for you.
WARNING for those with immobilizer !!!
Do not start the car when you remove the cluster or when you install new one if it wasn't program to your car yet, if that happens your vehicle will start and shut down under 5 seconds and immobilizer will activate , at that point it will not allow you to start the car and you will have to tow your car to Audi Dealer to have them reset the immobilizer with their device

How do I know if I do or don't have immobilizer ?

ABS & Brake lights + AirBag Light on

Can you install color LCD into C5 Cluster

If you have questions please post them here and I will answer them to best of my ability.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoommp5
So I guess for these differences below, that the lcd from my 1998 a8 wouldn't work in my 2001 allroad then?
I believe not .
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem with LCD

Hi!
I have an Audi A6 1998 and the LCD is not wroking good. I tryed to change the LCD but it just got worse. My cluster have this number 4B0919880H and it comes with an analog clock and i have a built in navigation. Can you please tell me if i can use any cluster with an LCD and same conecter or do i have to only look after the same one i got? I went to Audi and the had another one to sell and it have this number 4B920933DX. So please help me if you can.

Best regards.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ethan_hunt829
Hi!
I have an Audi A6 1998 and the LCD is not wroking good. I tryed to change the LCD but it just got worse. My cluster have this number 4B0919880H and it comes with an analog clock and i have a built in navigation. Can you please tell me if i can use any cluster with an LCD and same conecter or do i have to only look after the same one i got? I went to Audi and the had another one to sell and it have this number 4B920933DX. So please help me if you can.

Best regards.
4B0920933DX is for car with immobilizer , your car doesn't have it, so you can use it but you will/might have flashing icons on cluster which might not recognize that your vehicle doesn't have it , you can cover these icons,
if you want to avoid it then better get cluster with 919 instead 920
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

4B0920933DX is for car with immobilizer , your car doesn't have it, so you can use it but you will/might have flashing icons on cluster which might not recognize that your vehicle doesn't have it , you can cover these icons,
if you want to avoid it then better get cluster with 919 instead 920
-------------------
Hi!
Thanks for your response. My car does have immobilizer if you mean the key thing. Is that mean that i can use any cluster that look like mine and i dont need to look at the exakt number?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

then it should work
I am assuming that you are in Europe ? since immobilizer was introduced early when A6 when built in North America we didn't get them until 2001
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default CLUSTER COMPATABILITY

The photo below shows all 3 instrument clusters from 1998 to 2005 with Full size LCD,

Audi Allroad had some additional difference, some had thicker needle pointers based on engine

Here is the back of the instrument clusters.

You can see the difference between all the clusters .

Cluster 1
was installed in 1998 and 1999 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had analog clock
Cluster 2 was installed in 2000 to 2003 Audi A6 models, the most visible difference it had digital clock comparing to cluster 1
Cluster 3 was installed in 2003 to 2005 Audi A6/Allroad from 2001 models, the most visible difference it had rings added comparing to cluster 2

NOW COMPATIBILITY
Legend
  • * Cluster 1 is 1998-1999 (no immobilizer, no Can-Bus)
  • * Cluster 2 is 2000-2003 (no immobilizer in 2000 model, Immobilizer was added in 2001, Can-Bus was introduced in 2000+ models)
  • * Cluster 3 is 2003 to 2005 (had immobilizer and Can-Bus) Audi Allroads from 2001 to 2005 had Cluster 3

Cluster 2, and cluster 3 can fit directly into cluster 1, except the middle new plug needs to be installed and rewire connection.,
Cluster 3 can be installed into cluster 2 however it all depends if your car came with immobilizer.If your car came without immobilizer,
and you installed cluster that has immobilizer you will have little car key light ON on the tachometer , check the picture below.

This can not be disable by software, only solution is to cover with black electrical tape the opening for immobilizer light, only you will hear beeps for couple seconds when starting the vehicle.
If your car came with immobilizer , and you want to install another instrument cluster with immobilizer you need VAGCOM software from Ross Tech to program immobilizer to your car or you can have your Audi Dealer perform the service for you.
WARNING for those with immobilizer !!!
Do not start the car when you remove the cluster or when you install new one if it wasn't program to your car yet, if that happens your vehicle will start and shut down under 5 seconds and immobilizer will activate , at that point it will not allow you to start the car and you will have to tow your car to Audi Dealer to have them reset the immobilizer with their device

How do I know if I do or don't have immobilizer ?

ABS & Brake lights + AirBag Light on

Can you install color LCD into C5 Cluster

If you have questions please post them here and I will answer them to best of my ability.

Hi, I am in the UK and have a 2000 S6 4.2 v8. The clusters of the same year can have differing MPH dials. Mine is 180mph. Can I fit, say, a 160mph speedo and will it still show the speed accurately?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 246KAB
Hi, I am in the UK and have a 2000 S6 4.2 v8. The clusters of the same year can have differing MPH dials. Mine is 180mph. Can I fit, say, a 160mph speedo and will it still show the speed accurately?
yes you can install , it will show correct speed .
Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I am new to this site. I have a 2000 A6 fwd 2.8 that has half of the dash pixels not working. My issue is that my instrument panel has an analog clock cluster and not the digital cluster as shown in your pictures. Have you seen this befor?
Brett
Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Corvair_racer
Hi, I am new to this site. I have a 2000 A6 fwd 2.8 that has half of the dash pixels not working. My issue is that my instrument panel has an analog clock cluster and not the digital cluster as shown in your pictures. Have you seen this befor?
Brett
yes this is possible, this usually happens when year production model ends ex 1999 and new model 2000 starts some early will have components from older year model..

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A6 clusters and the compatibility issues