A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Using Rainx in your washer tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem happen to me after running the Rain-X windshield washer fluid through the reservoir last year... had to get it fixed at the dealer - twice! Fortunately was under warranty, but they said that the new chemical mixture of the latest Rain-X formulas was causing all kinds of troubles with the windshield washer fluid sensor. On most cars the level sensor is a ball that rises/falls with the amount of fluid contents in the reservoir, but they told me on the 08' A6 it's an electrolytic sensor (the presence of the liquid windshield washer fluid provides minimal electrical resistance to complete a circuit between two metal sensors to detect the fluid level). I found it really odd because I had used Rain-X for a couple of years, and then suddenly last year with one bottle it just screwed up the level sensor.

Rosty's suggestion sounds like a good one though, might have to try that if the sensor or nozzles ever starts acting up again...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have same problem with sensor. I have been using pink rain-X for years. Will try flush and see if sensor starts working.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Washer fluid light always on / rainex issue

Newbee here on the forum. I just finished fixing my gripe with the washer fluid sensor. Long story here: Dealer wanted 170 dollars to replace the washer fluid sensor on my 2010 Q5. I said no..would look for better solution. Come to find out that Rainex coats the sensor and makes it inoperable. I love rainex but this kind of made me mad but then again I have no issue using it in my other cars from mercedes, dodge, ford, susuki, toyota. I went to the dealer again for service and asked again to have it checked out and maybe clean it...yea right I got the standard answer its broke and rainex is the cause, I said no again.
I bought the sensor and I went to do it my self but to my surprise...it did not need a new sensor...I just wiped the two metal prongs and the senor is working again (I could actually feel removing a thin rubber type film of the sensor legs)....but dealer service could not do something that it took me an hour to jack up and take the tire off, and it would have taken them 5 minutes while servicing my car......Time for a new service place as they lost my business forever.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Have three audis, 2K4.2, 02S6, and 15A5. No problem with rain-X

Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Newbee here on the forum. I just finished fixing my gripe with the washer fluid sensor. Long story here: Dealer wanted 170 dollars to replace the washer fluid sensor on my 2010 Q5. I said no..would look for better solution. Come to find out that Rainex coats the sensor and makes it inoperable. I love rainex but this kind of made me mad but then again I have no issue using it in my other cars from mercedes, dodge, ford, susuki, toyota. I went to the dealer again for service and asked again to have it checked out and maybe clean it...yea right I got the standard answer its broke and rainex is the cause, I said no again.
I bought the sensor and I went to do it my self but to my surprise...it did not need a new sensor...I just wiped the two metal prongs and the senor is working again (I could actually feel removing a thin rubber type film of the sensor legs)....but dealer service could not do something that it took me an hour to jack up and take the tire off, and it would have taken them 5 minutes while servicing my car......Time for a new service place as they lost my business forever.
Must be the water here in DC/NOVA/MD.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try dumping a quart of 91% or similar isopropyl alcohol in the tank.

Originally Posted by rayden7
I had the same problem happen to me after running the Rain-X windshield washer fluid through the reservoir last year... had to get it fixed at the dealer - twice! Fortunately was under warranty, but they said that the new chemical mixture of the latest Rain-X formulas was causing all kinds of troubles with the windshield washer fluid sensor. On most cars the level sensor is a ball that rises/falls with the amount of fluid contents in the reservoir, but they told me on the 08' A6 it's an electrolytic sensor (the presence of the liquid windshield washer fluid provides minimal electrical resistance to complete a circuit between two metal sensors to detect the fluid level). I found it really odd because I had used Rain-X for a couple of years, and then suddenly last year with one bottle it just screwed up the level sensor.

Rosty's suggestion sounds like a good one though, might have to try that if the sensor or nozzles ever starts acting up again...
I've used the highest purity isopropyl alcohol I could get my hands on; it smells like the lave-glace VW/Audi stuff at the dealer. I also add a bit of ammonia and simple green to it. Also used rain-x for 16 years now on Audis with no problem.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes!!!

Originally Posted by RostyVyg
Quick fix for poor souls who suffered from evil Rain-X. Go to nearest pharmacy, buy two 22 oz bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Empty your washer fluid reservoir by constantly running the pump for 2 min. Pour both bottles of rubbing alcohol into reservoir. Put a few drops of dishwasher soap in each empty bottle, fill with hot water (I used my instant hot water faucet in the kitchen) - be careful, use thick gloves. Add hot water/soap mix into the reservoir. Drive around a bit to have it mixed, spray windshield (and back window if Avant) for a few seconds until Rain-X stops coming out and your clean soapy mix starts spraying and leave your car for an hour. The light will be gone by then. Use the soapy mix as usual washer fluid (if summer) or drain it immediately (if winter) then re-fill with blue liquid, or any Prestone brand washer fluid. God luck and good speed.

Rosty.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
so did they take the sensor back without a 20% restocking fee ?

lol

doubt it
Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Trying this out!

Quick fix for poor souls who suffered from evil Rain-X. Go to nearest pharmacy, buy two 22 oz bottles of 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Empty your washer fluid reservoir by constantly running the pump for 2 min. Pour both bottles of rubbing alcohol into reservoir. Put a few drops of dishwasher soap in each empty bottle, fill with hot water (I used my instant hot water faucet in the kitchen) - be careful, use thick gloves. Add hot water/soap mix into the reservoir. Drive around a bit to have it mixed, spray windshield (and back window if Avant) for a few seconds until Rain-X stops coming out and your clean soapy mix starts spraying and leave your car for an hour. The light will be gone by then. Use the soapy mix as usual washer fluid (if summer) or drain it immediately (if winter) then re-fill with blue liquid, or any Prestone brand washer fluid. God luck and good speed.

Rosty.
I have a 2012 A3 Sportback and have had my low washer fluid warning light on for a few months now. I used the orange rain x one time and it caused the light to come on. I am definitely going to try what you have suggested and hope it works. I’m tired of seeing that orange light on my screen! Honestly I can’t eveb remember what is supposed to be displayed on that part of the screen haha.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Trying this out!

Rosty.
I have a 2012 A3 Sportback and have had my low washer fluid warning light on for a few months now. I used the orange rain x one time and it caused the light to come on. I am definitely going to try what you have suggested and hope it works. I’m tired of seeing that orange light on my screen! Honestly I can’t eveb remember what is supposed to be displayed on that part of the screen haha.