A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Vac line identity.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vac line identity.

During my recent TB service, I noticed a hard plastic vac line that was broken. I have a 2.8, and the line goes from the back of the intake, along the left valve cover (top), then down along the front of the valve cover and disappears. On the front of the motor it's between the valve cover and timing belt cover. I repaired it with a small piece of rubber line. Any ideas on what it does? Car ran fine before and after. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default TPIUWP

Originally Posted by blink
During my recent TB service, I noticed a hard plastic vac line that was broken. I have a 2.8, and the line goes from the back of the intake, along the left valve cover (top), then down along the front of the valve cover and disappears. On the front of the motor it's between the valve cover and timing belt cover. I repaired it with a small piece of rubber line. Any ideas on what it does? Car ran fine before and after. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 675 Likes on 489 Posts

TPIUWP:

Wow Sloop. Agreed, and harsh... but agreed.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is only one vac line in this area. Just one, the description is not difficult to confuse with anything else. If you dont know, then you dont know.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's that obvious then the Bentley should have it easily.

There is only one vac line in this area. Just one, the description is not difficult to confuse with anything else. If you dont know, then you dont know.
The exercise is left to the student.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have a Bently manual. I've looked it up online everywhere. Plenty of diagrams, but nothing that would say of what the lines function is. The hard plastic vac lines on these cars are prone to breakage after so many years. Others here, that have experienced this same breakage, in the same area, may be able to help me find out what exactly that vac line is for, if anything. It's ok if you have no idea. You posts are not helping anyone, besides maybe your ego. If you are unaware of this issue, or cannot contribute, then leave it alone.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It goes from the vacuum tank in the fender area, runs past the timing cover, along the valve cover, and it feeds to the cluster of vacuum lines above the throttle body so under hard throttle stored vacuum can feed the Air injection, evap stuff, cruise control on cable drivin cars. They always break, you did exactly the right thing just patch it together.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have a diagram of the vacuum system and

I don't have a Bently manual. I've looked it up online everywhere. Plenty of diagrams, but nothing that would say of what the lines function is. The hard plastic vac lines on these cars are prone to breakage after so many years. Others here, that have experienced this same breakage, in the same area, may be able to help me find out what exactly that vac line is for, if anything. It's ok if you have no idea. You posts are not helping anyone, besides maybe your ego. If you are unaware of this issue, or cannot contribute, then leave it alone.
A basic knowledge of components, you should be able to identify the function.
There are also training articles on various systems in the Bentley online system available through eBahn's beta app. Of course you have to buy the eBahn Bentley

I actually do try to help people that are not too obtuse to listen, much less read between the lines. As someone once said, you can feed a man for a day but teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Quit looking for instant pudding. From the other replies on is forum, that vacuum line breaking might not be as common as one would think.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Prospeeder. The diagram shows it going into everything else, and possibly that actuator/lever on the front of the intake runners, but mostly that cluster of vac lines. Thanks again.