A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration problem

Hi guys. I have this vibration problem in my Audi A6 C5 1.9 TDI w/ a manual transmission. Heres the situation:

My car vibrates when idling and even when I rev it a bit. Now I know the car is SUPPOSED to vibrate a little, but I'm talking about more vibration than normal. The wheel vibrates, the shifter also.

The car's drivetrain has been repaired(u-joints, etc..). Also the engine cushions have been replaced with new ones, but the car still vibrates unnaturally.

What are the possible causes of this vibration? The mechanics in my town are somewhat incompetent so I have decided to tackle this problem on my own. Now I have a guess that it MIGHT be the flywheel and/or clutch.

Thank you for your help! Also, I'm not a native English speaker so sorry for any mistakes.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

have you had a recent transmission flush? i'd start with seeing what your fluids look like.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Has it always done it?
2. Has it changed in any way (gotten worse? Become a little better after the mounts were changed? etc.?)
3. Was any work done to the flywheel or clutch? (since you suspect them.)
4. I don't see how trans fluid could have any effect.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default lots and lots of posts on 'shudder' out here

and everyone will tell you to start with 1- a scan and save codes 2- clear codes and drive car for a few cycles 3- report back
Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

N Jay, it has done it since I bought the car about 2 months ago. It has not changed in any way even after the engine mounts were replaced. Just the same vibration. No work was done to the flywheel or clutch(I suspect them because my sister's car had somewhat of a similar problem, but her car was an automatic one)

allenst, I'm not sure what a diagnostic scan will do since I reckon this is purely a mechanical and not an electronic fault, but I will do one on Monday.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by offset_chip
have you had a recent transmission flush? i'd start with seeing what your fluids look like.
I have not had a transmission flush. Also, how can the fluid help me pinpoint the problem? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Windy263
N Jay, it has done it since I bought the car about 2 months ago. It has not changed in any way even after the engine mounts were replaced. Just the same vibration. No work was done to the flywheel or clutch(I suspect them because my sister's car had somewhat of a similar problem, but her car was an automatic one)

allenst, I'm not sure what a diagnostic scan will do since I reckon this is purely a mechanical and not an electronic fault, but I will do one on Monday.
you can check out some simple things with a scan. throttle body, mis-fires, get a read on the transmission, amybe a TSB for your vehicle ?, atf level, . just so many things it could be. start with the cheapest and easiest, or if you are a peson of means, take it to a good indy for a look
Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you have a manual transmission, don't change your transmission fluid to fix this problem.
Because it happens when idling and not while moving I don't think it's in the drive train. One exception would be a clutch flywheel issue, but only if it does it only when you disengage(depress) the clutch. I would focus on engine issues that could cause the rough idle.
Look for a vacuum leak. Direct propane torch (unlit) all around the intake and hoses. If idle speeds up at any point, you have a vacuum leak. Could also be a heat shield vibration. Not sure where they are on your car, but take a look for any that might be vibrating. The propane detection method works well on gas engines, but not 100% sure on diesels, worth a try.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a TDI people.

Just how bad is the vibration?

My CDI (MB) has a light vibration at idle. Hard to get all the vibration out of a diesel.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a Quattro drive system ?
Did anybody ask ??
Is the center shaft bearing loose ???
Do inadequate mechanics know all ???? "NO"

Last edited by jcman; 05-29-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem